What's new

Dr. Dolittle 2 Edited for language???(rated PG) (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I'm watching Dr. Dolittle 2 right now and it seems, well I can tell, that each time a swear word is said, you can see the person's/animal's mouth move but you don't hear it. Why is that. I have the SE and it says nothing about the editing. It's pissing me off. If able to, please IM me on AIM at BertFalasco because I will be finishing the movie. I mean, Eddie says in the beginning about a someone not wanting a watch dog to lick his a$$h*le but you hear a bark then silence as you watch his lips say the word..And, it does it throughout so far.
Thanks in advance
-Bert

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The theatrical cut of Doctor Dolittle 2 was PG, and the DVD is the same exact cut of the film.
What this scenario reminds me of is what happened in Galaxy Quest. In one scene, Sigourney Weaver clearly says 'fuck this', but you hear her say 'screw this.' They edited the word 'fuck' to get a PG (instead of PG-13 or R) for theatrical release.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Often happens- films have dialog toned down in post production after the film comes together and marketing decisions are made.
Galaxy Quest is a good example because it's obvious- but it happens pretty often. A film, like Galaxy Quest, will be completed- and the assessment of the story, the cast and the finished feel for the film will cause a studio to rethink their approach to selling the film. With Galaxy quest starring a TV star and certainly being a film the family could enjoy, they decided to would sell better as PG.
And I think, for Galaxy Quest, that was a good decision. The small dialog chnages they made did nothing to change the story- and from what I had heard the director was much happier with the film after he made the changes. If you watch galaxy quest again- beside the famous "fuck this" line- there are 3-4 changes in the opening scenes (them backstage) alone.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Do you want SOUTH PARK on DVD in order, rather than themed sets? Join our overwhelming majority!!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
In Crocodile Dundee, the pimp clearly says "fuck" but we hear "screw". It's very awkward (especially considering Dundee's next line concerns the guy watching his mouth around ladies. The movie was PG-13 anyway, I don't see why it was edited.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Going further OT.. :
I thought Galaxy Quest's dubbing was a good joke on the atrocious dubbing of early cult television sci fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks