What's new

Dr. Corday/Alex Kingston gets the boot from ER (1 Viewer)

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
By Associated Press

June 7, 2004, 1:52 PM EDT

LONDON -- Alex Kingston says she's being axed from "ER" for being too old.

The British actress, who plays Dr. Elizabeth Corday on the long-running medical drama, said she was recently told that after seven years on the show, her contract would not be renewed.

In an interview with Radio Times magazine, Kingston, 41, said the program was increasingly focused on young characters, "and apparently I, according to the producers and the writers, am part of the old fogeys who are no longer interesting."

"In that respect it's a shame. It's fine to have young med students, but you need to have figures of authority, people of different ages, races, shapes and sizes," she said.

Kingston said being let go "was a shock and obviously upsetting, but it's just your ego that's upset. Then I got over it."

Kingston, who starred as a warrior queen in the British drama "Boudica" last year, said she plans to return to Britain for film and television work

"Scariness comes from not knowing whether I can do it any more, because I've been playing one role for so long," she said. "Admittedly, I've done little bits and pieces, but I'm very excited about getting back to the U.K."

It's a shame really but her role had become limited since Anthony Edwards left.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I remeber when they let her be sexy and she had a little spark, but now they weren't dong much with er character at all. I wonder what tragedy will befall her character, seems like thats the only way to leave ER these days.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
They don't know how to write for her character. Personally, I think the solution is to hire better writers. They also didn't know how to write for Kellie Martin, who may not be the best actress they've had on the show but is certainly capable of more than the annoying character they created for her...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I like her character but I agree that she hasn't had much to do in the last season. Heck, it seems like short little cameo appearences at times. I found the article a little unclear. Is she coming back for next season?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The episode where Kellie Martin died was the last good episode they had. It never recovered.

Alex Kingston should be glad to leave.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I agree...anybody who isn't glad to leave has got to be there for the paycheck. The show borders on a parody of its former self.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I read somewhere else that she'll be back for about four episodes or so next season.

Shall we start taking bets on how she'll die?

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
Is this show still on? I used to watch regularly but it has become less of a hospital show and more of a soap opera in a hospital.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Man, I thought this season was the last one. And I had no idea that they'd killed Kellie Martin off. (The last death I watched was Romano's) Somebody stick a fork in this turkey, it's done!

Joe

Chris

Senior HTF Member
She will be stung by a mosquito over the summer and doesn't think about it. Then, in the OR, she begins to complain of neck pain. Finally, she collapses on the floor, goes into arrest and coma.

Not realizing her symptoms, an intern provides her with heavy medication.. that worsens her sickness. She interprets her symptoms as a blood sugar problem, when in fact.. duh duh duh.. it's West Nile Virus.. Corday's coma becomes permanent and she is left a vegetable.

Either something like that or, another good one: she gets mugged by a patient she is treating who runs her over in his car as soon as she gets off work. To make it more unusual, his car is a beefed up go-cart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks