Dr. Chesky's 5.1 Surround Show on SA-CD (also available on DVD-A)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    [​IMG] I hate being a negative critic but this disc is so boring....[​IMG] That's my proffesional oppinion as a trained Operating Room Technican and daughter of an actual M.D. who's mother was a nurse and a friend of a friend's patient of Helen Keller, it's my belief that this disc causes narcolepsy. What we have here is a failure to entertain.

There's 38 tracks of various sound effects, drum thangs, sound from playground basketball, some short musical pieces (too little here!), and some subwoofer tests. After the disappointing beginning, middle, and latter middle parts of the disc, you'll have the subwoofer tests to look forward to. If you're not totally bummed out by now, the subwoofers should push you over the edge. It'll out your sub as a dog like it did mine. [​IMG]

I got the SA-CD version. It's also on DVD-A. The Super Audio version is a hybrid (CD) and the Surround Show also plays as a Stereo SA-CD show. It's got 38 tracks (total time 55:15). They're run together. There's not a discernable silence between many of the tracks.

Track one is BLAST OFF, 43 dull and not so well recorded seconds of some rocket taking off, next! Track two features drumming, canned applause, and some not all that clearly audible yelling. My presumption is that he's yelling the track name which is, WELCOME TO THE SHOW. Well, they should've got a professional ringmaster if you ask me.

In all fairness there's some intresting music mixed in with the "stuff". Some of it's purr-dy intresting but there's not all that much. There's an eclectic variety of music amongst the pieces. Track 8, AVE VERUM CORPUS sounds like a bunch of monks and nuns who took vows to study and sing classical music. Track 9 is MUSIC FOR CELLO HELICOPTER AND CARS. It would be better without helicopters and cars. Track 13, WILD NIGHTS, is some red hot fusion with a searin' guitar. It reminds one of when Jan Hammer and Jeff Beck got together, once upon a time, way back when. The only thing to dislike about it is that it's very short, 2:15.

I'm not very impressed with the various sound effects. Track 14 is called NEW YORK SUBWAY RIDE. Not an impressive recording. It doesn't at all capture the ferocity of sound I've experienced in those tunnels. Track 19 is 25 seconds of exciting ameteur PING PONG and fades into one minute of AFRICAN MORNING. AFRICAN MORNING features a flute and folks knocking pieces of wood together.

Track 24, CARS AND HORSES is just that. Somebody proably took a handheld recorder down to Central Park and recorded the carriage ride going by...? There's faint automobile sounds in the background. Whoopty doo!

Track 26, ORGAN & CHIMES, starts off as chimes and a booming organ joins in that sounds like it's leftover from a Dr. Phibes movie. Then a maniac on guitar joins in.... Thankfully it's only 1:41 long! [​IMG]

Tracks 29-36 feature a female announcer and heartbeats at 50, 40, 30, and 20 Hz. All subs should do 50 and 40 really easily. The 20 and 30 may bum you out when you see how little output, if any, your sub has at these low plateaus?

The last two tracks are like Chesky meets Alvin & The Chipmunks. 37 is called CHURCH MICE. It's just 25 seconds of noise that doesn't sound like real mice to me. Track 38 is called THANK YOU FOR COMING TO OUR SHOW. If you're stille awake you will witness 1:10 of totally forgettable 'munk pop. The lyrics are the title repeated over and over by chipmunks.

Question: What's this disc good for after the first listen? Answer: storage or sale![​IMG]

A better idea than buying this disc would be to buy one of Chesky's other excellent SA-Cd's like one of the Ana Caram albums or the highly under listened to Dave's True Story or The Coryells.

" thank you for coming to our review, thank you for coming to our review, ect, ect,"[​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    I don't know Rachael, it might be worth getting for track 24 alone [​IMG]

Thanks for the review.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Phil, it's like totally whoopty doo. Whoopty doo is that stuff that the horses leave behind in Central Park, you should see the rodents scurry...[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I'm surprised by this. The Chesky Sampler #2 (redbook only), I think, has Jeremy Kipnis subway recording and its very realistic. Maybe this is a new recording I have not heard. Jeremy, a fan of beer, also does this recording where he pops open a bottle and the bottle cap rolls away. He drinks the beer then belches. All gloriously captured in a very transparent sound bite. Funny stuff.

I will have to get this disc and see if I agree.

I would not imagine David and Norman intended for this to be anything but a demo and test disc.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, it's got lots of drums and other stuff popping around channels proving that your channels work. The sub tests are tests. My point is that something like this could be far more entertaining. He should of gotten Firesign Theatre or somebody along those lines to help. He could of gotten some dude to say "number 9" over and over or something??? [​IMG]

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    For a test disc I like http://www.delosmus.com/cgi/cart/ite...04491075350122

It has 2 discs, one of music and one of tests. I have not listened to the music in ages but use the test disc for sub frequencies all the time If I want belches or other bodily sounds, "Blazing Saddles" is much more fun.:b

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The Chesky DVD-A Ultimate test disc also has a NY Subway ride (maybe we are talking about the same disc).

Well, I *was* thinking about picking this one up, sounds like it's not worth it... [​IMG]

8. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Kevin,

They're different discs, but that could be the same track. I haven't had opportunity to stick Dr. Chesky in yet to compare.

Cheers,

9. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone confirm that the dvd-a version has a dolby digital track as well?

10. Michael St. Clair

I only bought mine (way back when) to calibrate my DVD-A. For that purpose, it was fine.

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

As previously mentioned, there are some killer drum tracks, but what I like the most are the Heartbeat tracks; 40, 30, and 20 Hz "heart beats", IIRC.

It should let you know your subs real low end extension. But I don't see buying it (my dealer loaned it to me for a few days). There is just not enough entertainment value to play it more than once or twice.

BGL

12. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Thanks for the review...

I almost bought this disc last week. I think I will save my money and buy a different SACD...

13. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I was equally disappointed with the WB Loony Tunes DVD-A purchased for the same reason. Lookin' to have some fun. Didn't even make either of my two modest HTs whimper. Could have been fun had they pushed the envelope a little more. What we need is a true test disc. Say track #1 has nothing but sounds above 25k hz to see if we really need those "super tweeters". #2 can have only sounds under 25 hz to see if that sub goes as far down as the brochure says it does. Stuff like that. Then again, maybe we are better off not knowing!

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I finally picked up a copy of this at HE2004. I am interested in seeing how it compares to Jeremy Kipnis sound effects on the Ultimate test CD.

15. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, I think you'll be dissapointed that there are not that many pure sound effects..? I hope few people buy this disc so we don't have to discuss it too much. Yuck-atoesis! I might have to listen to it again![​IMG] [​IMG]