Dplii w/ mediocre mts stereo off cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewJ S, Aug 17, 2001.

1. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I have satellite so I'm having trouble answering my customers concerns about how dplII will sound with our local (bad comcast) cable company's notoriously unreliable mts stereo signal...have been told anecdotally that it is not so great...can anyone relate their personal experiances?
    ------------------
    Matt says "if you have received good service from a salesman,if he has educated you as to what you should buy, buy from him! not from the internet!"

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I don't have DPL2, but I've been running my Time Warner Cable broadcasts through Lexicon's Logic7 (which is similar) for a long time. As long as the cable signal is delivering two separate channels of sound, the results range from good to excellent. NYPD Blue and Ally McBeal are two shows with first-rate surround mixes.
    But if the cable signal fluctuates between stereo and mono (which used to happen with some of the Star Trek broadcasts), no amount of processing can compensate for a bad signal. The soundfield will collapse toward the center whenever the signal reverts to mono.
    M.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I have the Onkyo 595 with DPL2 and digital cable with Comcast, and it isn't too bad. There are some channels that are permanently mono, but for the most part I'm pleased. I especially dig putting on one of the music channels for atmosphere.
    Now, if you're talkin' regular cable (and not digital) then I don't know what to tell you. The stereo signal kinda' fluctuates on the stereo TV in my bedroom, and a couple of channels only have sound in the left speaker.

4. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

I have regular Comcast cable with my Onkyo 595 with DPLII. The channels broadcast in stereo are fine with DPLII. I watched a bit of last night's NFL pre-season game between the Jets and Ravens. The crowd noise came from the surrounds, with the commentators' voices emanating from the center speaker, with occassional bleed over through the fronts speakers. Some of the on-the-field sounds (helmets and pads colliding, etc.) were impressive, giving a feel of really being there. Overall, a nice effect.
    Also, last night, I caught the first part of a SNL rerun. The audience laughter and applause came from the fronts and surrounds, but the surrounds actually had a different set of sound with that than the fronts. This was also a nice effect.
    A good channel to check out DPLII is the Sci-Fi channel. They have a number of shows with special effects that sound pretty darn good for cable TV sound on the 595. I have been pleased. (I haven't upgraded to digital cable since I am trying to convince my wife that we need a satellite dish!)

5. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

One addendum to my above post . . . Comcast just doesn't offer enough channels with stereo sound. This could be a major drawback for some people interested in such an effect from DPLII, since the channels without stereo will NOT sound good at all with DPLII as all you will hear well will be the center channel.

6. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

so, is the concensus "so-so" on digital cable(some channels stereo /some not) and "not so good" on regular cable ,no real stereo?

7. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

Matthew, for the stations on regular cable with stereo, the sound from DPLII is fine with my Onkyo 595. I watched the PGA golf championship today, and one could hear the ambient sounds (wind, crickets, etc.) from the surrounds, with the commentators' dialogue from the center and the fronts (to a lesser degree). Crowd reaction came from the fronts and surrounds. For the stations on regular cable that offer stereo, DPLII is fine. But, the problem I have with my present Comcast cable is that they just don't offer enough channels with stereo. For example, TNT has stereo, but TBS does not. Perhaps digital cable has a greater selection of stereo. But again, I hoep to get a dish soon!