DPLII v DTS Neo 6........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by shaun_p, Nov 8, 2001.

1. shaun_p

shaun_p Extra

I know the jury is still out as to which is better DD5.1 or DTS5.1 but is same true for DPLII and DTS Neo6?
    My Reciever, Denon 2802 has both and I am undecided - what do you think?

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Shaun: Almost every review and opinion I've read comparing the two, prefers DPL2.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

3. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Shaun, DPLII does sound better than DTS NEO6. Of course this has nothing to do with DOHby Shitigal vs DTS since we all know DTS "IS" the "SUPERIOR" digital surrpound format.

4. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

quote: since we all know DTS "IS" the "SUPERIOR" digital surrpound format.[/quote]
    When you say we, you imply everyone. I for one believe DTS is the inferior format. (Both Sonically and Technically.) Please don't include me in your blanket statement.
    [Edited last by StaceyS on November 08, 2001 at 05:29 PM]

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I kinda like Circle Surround too. CS comes on the Marantz SR 6200 and 7200.

6. Geoff MK

Geoff MK Extra

I have a Denon AVR-2802 and I did a little comparison with some regular stereo CD's to see how DTS Neo:6 and DPLII compare.
    I used Celine Dion, Blue Man Group, Alicia Keys(R&B), Yanni(classical/new age), Crystal Method(techno), Dave Mathews Band, and a classical music compilation for the test. I found that DPLII sounds better almost in all cases. I think Neo:6 makes the music sound too "thin" and too dispersed, it's almost as if the distance between me and the performers suddenly becomes extended and the main vocals or main instruments are not as prominent as before. Maybe this is due to Neo:6 feeding the surround channels too much sound(either too loud or just too busy). Anyway, I think the Neo:6 tries to do too much with the surrounds and instead of just adding subtle ambience, it distracts the listener from concentrating on the front channels.
    I haven't tried to watch movies in DPLII or Neo:6 so I can't compare the two formats' performance on movies.
    For movies, I still like DTS over DD although in some cases the difference may not be obvious.
    Just my two cents.
    Geoff