What's new

DPLII should it be a factor? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone,
A few of you may have seen my previous post, were I mentioned possibly purchasing the Yamaha HTR 5460. In that time, I have been reviewing the Onkyo 595 in more detail, do to several recommendations. I have noticed that the 595 does not have component video switching, but does include DPLII. I'm not 100% clear on this feature, but am under the impression that if I listen to CD's or watch much TV that this feature is really a winner. I'm not to concerned about this feature from a video stand point, as I don't own a VCR, only DVD. Can anyone help to explain this feature and advise whether it is more of a benefit over the component switching and increase wattage of the 5460.
-Tim

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Tim: Unless the wattage is double over the Onkyo, it's doubtful you would hear much of a difference. (Doubling the power only raises the volume by 3 decibels...not a lot.)
As for component switching, units in the price range of these 2 recievers do not have enough bandwidth to pass a high definition signal. So, if it can't pass HDTV, will it be worth it for you???
Dolby Pro Logic II?? IMO, the best true improvement in matrixed stereo 2 channel surround I've heard. It offers 2 modes, Music and Cinema. Either mode offers a spacious, enveloping soundfield without adding artificial echo. New DPL II is also much less center channel oriented than the old DPL. Another improvement is that it improves on old Pro Logic by using full range, stereo rear speakers. I liked DPL II so well that I upgraded both of my systems to include it. For me, it has really brought a great deal more enjoyment to TV and my older video collection...
------------------

Vasanth B

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking just on DPLII. I second Chuck's recommendation. I have a Denon AVR-1802 and the DPLII really impresses me, especially if you have a good stereo source. TV in general is much better. Action-drama type shows like "Buffy" and "Angel" especially benefit.
Movies probably make best use of DPLII since the stereo soundtracks are usually downmixed from multi-channel sources so the DPLII is able to mostly recreate that sound field.
Only thing I don't like DPLII for is music. My Denon's 5-ch stereo is much better, especially if I am listening to music off of my sofa in other rooms.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chuck and Vasanth for your replies. I think I will take another look at the Onkyo 595 and Denon 1802, as they both over DLPII. The more I hear hear about the quality of the Yamaha's component switching, the less I'm drawn to it. Originally I was excited about it as I could pick it up from Sears for approximately ($330) and not have to paying S&H. However, I'm starting to think the the DPLII may be worth a extra charge. What' the best deal (including shipping and warranty) have you folks seen on either the Denon 1802 or the Onkyo 595?
-Tim

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Want component switching? Move up to the Onkyo 696. HD switching with DPL2, pre-outs, and a very clean 100wpc... all for

AllenD

Second Unit
Just a quick vote for upgrading to DPL2. I've upgraded my 787 to a DTR7.2 for a few weeks now and it's the best upgrade yet. You won't be sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks