DPLII question (limited in some models?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Lando, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

I can't seem to find the thread right now but I noticed someone mention that some receivers that have DPLII only have a "limited" version of it as opposed to a "full" version. Can anyone verify this? If so, which models have limited DPLII and which have the full blown version. I've already looked on the websites for Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon and none of them specify.

Thanks.

2. Steven_B

Steven_B Agent

I noticed that same thread myself, and now can't remember which have the incomplete version. If anyone knows please reply.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I don't think the decoding processor is function limited. IOW, to my knowledge, all DPL II chips include both the Cinema and Music modes. The only difference is that some receiver makers have chosen not to include the 3 Music mode parameter adjustments (apparently Dolby doesn't require the adjustments.) The 3 Music mode parameters are Dimension, Panorama and Center Width.
    Here is a link to Dolby for some more info. http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.P...nersGuide.html
    (Note...Dolby mentions that there can be a mono DPL II matrix mode too. But I have never seen it.)