What's new

DPLII... how to get it (1 Viewer)

RyanSoares

Stunt Coordinator
i was at my girlfriends house and her dad just bought a canon front projection system, panny progressive dvd and panny AVR, now her dad doesn't care about DD DTS he said that when it's on all the sound comes through the center speaker.. he likes the voice coming from all around!!???
"To each his own" the reciver has DPLII so i was fooling around with it last night but i noticed that when switched to DPLII the sound was really low, he has no center channel so i was looking for a phantom setting, but their was none...... is that common, no phantom on DPLII... and is DPLII like DPL where it can work on any broadcast cable channel that sends out and dobly surround signal or does the program have to be broadcast in DPLII

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The setting for phantom center is not part of DPL/PLII, it is a function of the receiver. In the speaker settings, you tell the receiver you do not have a center, and the sound is rerouted to the mains. PL and PLII work much the same, they will work with any source, but the quality of surround and sound level will vary based on how the material is broadcast. There is no such thing as Pro Logic encoding, only Dolby surround, which will work with PL, PLII and PLIIx

If you try to use DD/DTS with a non-digital signal, it will collapse to the center because there is no info to send to the other speakers.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
John is right on. I have noticed that using DPLII on my Sherwood receiver works great on VHS tapes and DVDs encoded in Dolby Surround and to a lesser degree on plain stereo tapes and DVDs. However, lately I have been using it to watch some TV shows through my JVC S-VHS VCR and some of them come through very well. "CSI:Crime Scene Investigations" is probably the best with plenty of background sound coming through on the surround speakers. Sit Coms send the laugh track to the surrounds with most of the sound going to the mains and center. One of my friends uses the Pro Logic "Matrix" setting on his receiver while viewing programs and DVDs/Tapes with mono sound tracks which sends the same sound to all his speakers except the center. This drives me absolutely crazy. He likes it though and that is what counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks