What's new

DPLII controls on Denon, Marantz, Onkyo or Yamaha? (1 Viewer)

AllanW

Grip
What new receivers that decode using DPLII offer the optional "Width", "Dimension" and "Panorama" parameter adjustments.
I am pretty sure the new Denons (2802, 3802) offer this, but does anyone know if the other manufactures are offering these adjustments.
Here is some info on these settings:
PL II offers two different decoding modes: Music and Movie. With PL II Music, there are 3 optional parameters: Dimension, Panorama, and Width.
Dimension is used to adjust the front-to-rear balance in the room. The adjustment has 7 possible positions. The default position is 0 which has the balance equal. A setting of +3 puts the balance toward the front of the room and a setting of -3 puts the balance to the back of the room.
Panorama is used to wrap the sound field around you. You have two options, On or Off. The default is Off.
Width is a center spread adjustment. The default value is 3. A setting of 0 sends most of the information to the center channel, and a setting of 7 is full left and right only. This provides a phantom center image.
Thanks,
Allan

AllanW

Grip
Does that mean that Marantz and Onkyo do not offer these adjustments. Does anyone know?
Thanks.

I have the Onkyo 696 and it does not have the adjustments. I would assume that the 595 and 494 would also not have the adjustments since they are lower models. I am unsure of the models higher than the 696.
-Nate

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The Onkyo 595 does NOT have the adjustments... but it uses the Dolby defaults, which sound excellent. For me, not having those adjustments is a blessing, since it'd just be something else for me to spend countless hours tweaking. I have yet to find a CD that doesn't sound excellent on the 595 as is, so I'm happy with it.

Myles

Agent
To clear things up for the Onkyo:
The first receivers to use DPLII had no adjustments: 494; 595; 696; Integra 5.2; 6.2
The latest models have these adjustments: 797; 898; Integra 8.2 (7.2 when it arrives)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Allan: Yes, the adjustments are very helpful. Keep in mind that while the Movie mode is not adjustable, and the Music mode is, both Dolby and Jim Fosgate have said that the basic decoding matrix is the same for both. So, this means that you can adjust all the parameters (you mentioned) for both movies and music until your setup sounds best to you. (Of course, this means running in Music mode all of the time. Apparently something Jim Fosgate does most of the time.)
You may ask, why even have the Movie mode? I have seen Roger D. from Dolby answer this. But I can't remember his exact reply. But I am sure that the basic decoding matrix for both IS the same.
(BTW, the adjustments do have a good range. It's hard to imagine anyone who likes surround sound not finding the adjustments a big help in tweaking the sound to their taste.)
------------------

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Chuck is correct - the adjustments are very helpful! My 3802 has them, and I run DPLII in music mode full time. The cinema mode still sounds pretty much like DPL for the three front speakers. It basically collapses everything to the center channel. Sure, the surrounds are now in stereo, but it is very subtle. Putting in music mode allows you to adjust the center width, panorama, and dimension. You can tweak these to your liking. Now I have a surround mode that sounds killer on music, and just as good on TV broadcasts. Watching the world series feels like you are there. The crowd surrounds you, in stereo. You can hear fans cheering and clapping from behind you in all directions - not just some noise - but individual fans to the left or right rear. Very cool!
I can't understand why these companies would give you the surround mode without the adjustments! To cut costs I guess.
If anyone want's an explanation of the adjustments and what they do, let me know, as I have done a lot of tweaking with each adjustment to see how it affects the sound.
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread