DPLII Analog or Digital Connection Question for HK520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Dec 20, 2002.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, I just purchased an HK 520, and have a question. When playing older DVD's with no discrete 5.1 track, I definitely want to take advantage of DPLII. My question concerns the optimal connection to use. Should I use the digial or analog connections? According to the HK manual I should change a setting or two for DPLII (apparently the surround delay should be set different from DD). The problem is, when I use the digital connection the receiver uses the 5.1 delay and level settings. The way I understand it, this means I MUST use the analog connections to set these settings to different values from 5.1. Am I correct? Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Two ways to do it: 1) Use the DD settings or 2) use a different analog input, if available, for those which are not multi-channel encoded.

The "delay" setting does not apply to DD/DTS. What is recorded, is what you get. The settings which apply to DD/DTS are distance, level, and (if equiped) x-over. DPL/PL II and other DSP type modes use the delay setting.

3. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I realized I should use another input soon after posting. Thanks for the response.