DPL2x

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by FrankJo, Oct 19, 2003.

1. FrankJo

FrankJo Extra

Hello people

Have i completely misunderstood about this?

I thought dpl2x was 2channel sources,and you could get 7.1 from ex.cds, but some tell me you can also get it from 5.1 channel to.

So i wounder if i could get 7.1 sound from 5.1 if you play DVDs in dolby digital with DPL2x?

Could someone help me out here, because i just have bought me an new pioneer VSA_AX10is(49tx)i think in usa, and it doesn't have dpl2x, and i aslo have ordered me new speakers and want to have 7.1, could i get it with this unit in some ways withouth DPL2x?

please help me out here

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With most 6.1/7.1 receivers you can get 7.1 from any 5.1 material without PLIIx. I don't like what it does with music, so I never use it, but for movies PLII does a good job.

3. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

Very few decoders used with 7.1 systems deliver independant signals to each of the Lb and Rb speakers. Typically these are the same signal. Pro Logic IIx gives individual signals to each main output from 2-ch and 5.1-ch sources. More info is posted at http://www.dolby.com/events/CEDIA/PLIIx/

4. John Garcia

John
    Regardless of the uniqueness of the channels, it's still a processing function that is simulating these channels.

5. FrankJo

FrankJo Extra

Hey again

Many thanks for your input

My knowledge about this tecnical debate is very very limited.

My amp also have THX ultra 2 , and i ask in ohter forum if i could get any surround from the back channels if i ofcourse have 7.1 setup, and one guy told me THx was just an certification , it has nothing to do with the DSP prossecing, you need decoder.

who is correct here?, cant i take any adventage of THX in my amp?

Do i get any surround from my back speakers with THX?

6. John Garcia

John
    This person is partially correct - THX is not part of the DSP. THX is an ADDITIONAL process on top of DD/DTS/EX/ES. However, you can't have a THX Ultra 2 receiver without THX processing, it's that simple. For an AMP, THX certification would mean it meets performance specs, but with a processor, it has to also have processing functions that are in the Ultra 2 spec. In order to get the certification, it has to have the processing...

7. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

John wrote:
    >>Regardless of the uniqueness of the channels, it's still a processing function that is simulating these channels.>With most 6.1/7.1 receivers you can get 7.1 from any 5.1 material without PLIIx,

8. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

DPL2x in real world terms is Dolby's competing format with the logic seven format.
    At least this is my understanding from the communications & articles I have read.
    -Jerry

9. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Sony Cinema also does a simulated 7.1 - I don't think DPL2x is really competing again L7 b/c if they were really worried about L7, they would've just released DPL2x a while ago.

I remember reading somewhere about how simulated 7.1 was achievable back when DPLII came out. I think it's just more of Dolby milking the cow for all its worth. I'm sure DPL3 is done or relatively close to being finished but they'll wait out DPLIIx for another few years.

10. FrankJo

FrankJo Extra

Hey again

Ernest

My last amp was Sony STR-VA555ES the europein model of DA5ES i think, and i cant remeber it has something like 7.1 without adding and extra amp, but i have to say the DSPs was very very good like the amp itself

11. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - I think some of the older models (DA5ES is older than the DA4ES) needed outside amplification whereas the 4 and the 7 had it built in. The DA4ES is 7x110W.

12. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Is it me or are Dolby just trying to compete with DTS Neo6? The specs sound very similar to me.

13. John Garcia

John
    Some things sound great with Neo6, while others do not, just like PLII.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I do believe that DTS Neo 6 only works with 2 channel sources, and only "expands" them up to 5.1. DPL IIx will also "expand" 5.1 DD or even DTS soundtracks for playback on a 7.1 speaker system.

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

What new receivers are on the horizon with DPL2x?

16. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I also heard that Dolby PL2X will improve the way it handles bass, as I feel regular DPLII deteriorates the bass signal.

The new gamecube game Star Wars Rogue Squadron III supports DPL2X. To bad there is no hardware out yet to take advantage of it!

Mark

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have heard that *some* Yamaha 1400's are now shipping with DPL IIx. Thread over on avs. Might be limited to Canadian models though.