DPL2x vs DTS Neo6?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gerard Martin, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Is there any real difference between the two. DTS Neo6 claims 6.1 playback of 2 channel sources, DPL2x claims 6.1 and 7.1.
    Should we all go out an get a new DPL2x receiver or is this just Dolby catching up to DTS? TIA

2. John S

John S Producer

DD EX, DTS Neo:6, and DPLII all use the additional 6.1 / 7.1 channels.

I don't think DPLIIx is enough alone to make somebody upgrade, but certainly if your buy'n a new unit, I don't think I would get one without it.

My Denon 4802 is just fine, with it's DTS, THX EX, with it setup in 7.1 config.

Let us know if you do upgrade please, and your experiences with DPLIIx..... I mean if you said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread or something, then it very well could be worth the upgrade for it.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's Dolby and DTS catching up to Lexicon, which has done 7-channel decoding of 2.0 material for many years now.

If one is buying a new receiver for other reasons, then by all means get one with DPL2x. By itself, though, it's not a reason to buy a new receiver if you're otherwise satisfied. Especially with 2.0 material, adding more channels quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns -- and I say that as someone who's been listening to Lexicon's Logic7 for the last seven years.

M.

4. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

DTS Neo:6, however, is not 7-ch processing, while L7 and PLIIx are.