DPL2 & Yamaha

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I'm starting to wonder if Yamaha is going to jump on the DPL2 bandwagon. I have zero facts to justify my hunch of course, but that's not going to stop me from posting my thoughts. I'm curious what others are thinking along these lines.
    When I watch TV (and movies for that matter) I leave my A3090 set to one of Yamaha's proprietary surround settings (Adventure movies I think). I've tuned it to work well in my living room. It automatically selects AC-3 when I put in a DVD, so I still get the benefit of 5.1 surround.
    I'm thinking that Yamaha is going to continue to improve their own proprietary surround options instead of investing as much energy in keeping up with what other people are doing.
    I personally would like to see the industry standard surround formats supported on Yamaha equipment just because I like to have the option of using them. Also, I feel it will affect their marketability because people perceive them to be the only good option.
    Well, I don't need to rehash the whole discussion of why Yamaha does their own DSP development or anything here... just thought it was worth a post on the subject of them incorporating DPL2 ASAP or waiting for the following year's models to come out (greater than 1 year away).

2. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Bill,
    the word is that Yamaha is offering an upgrade in Japan for the DSP-AX1, but not anywhere else. It also appears that they will be offering DPL2, ES-Discrete, and Neo-6, plus 120w/ch. amps in their new flagship coming in March. However, until the official announcement is made, anything and/or everything can change.
    Marty