What's new

DPL2 Music mode: Which recievers have the full vs. lite version?? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
I do know that some Onkyo have the Non-adjustible version of DPL2 music mode...
I was wondering which manufacturers/recievers have the full, adjustable version of DPL2 music mode???

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
You get to adjust 3 parameters on the Denon receivers.
Panoramic = Yes or No (or On or Off - I can't remember)
Supposed to envelope you in the sound. I can't really tell the difference between the two, but I think that is because I don't have good source material to show it off. I leave it on Yes.
Center Width = 0 - 6
Adjusts the center channel "width". From 0 - 2 seems to have center channel level full, L & R are a little less in volume. 3 seems to have center channel and and L & R equal. 4 - 6 seems to have L & R level full, and center channel lower. I have mine set at 3.
Dimension = 0 - 7
This one I am not sure what it is supposed to do. Maybe someone can chime in. I have mine set at about 4. It seems that if I have it set at 0, the front and rear speakers seem disconnected - like totally seperate areas of the sound. Setting to 7 makes them seem more like they are the same area (like no difference in sound as much). At 4, it seems to make them "hand off" better between the front and rear speakers. I think this setting is room dependent, depending on the distance between the front and rear speakers and your seating position.
Another note, I always listen to DPLII in music mode, even on satellite TV and stuff. Jim Fosgate (the developer of DPLII) posted on AVSForum that he always listens in music mode, too. It will do the steering logic correctly, but also enhance some of the ambience. I have tried it both ways, and with the adjustments in Music mode, I can make it sound better than just the cinema mode on TV. The cinema mode still collapses almost everything to the center channel, so the center width in Music mode lets me adjust this.
Bryan

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Kelly, do you know what Onkyo receivers feature the "trim" mode of DPL2 ? Specifically, the TX-DS696 ?

Mike Sheahan

Stunt Coordinator
Bryan, you seem to have a pretty good feel for PL II. I was curious if you have tried Neo 6 to the same extent, and what you think about the difference between them.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Mike,
I haven't tried Neo:6 that much. My home theater is all in pieces right now, as I am having a custom media niche built around the system. It should be done this week (I will post some pics). After it is back up, I will do some comparisons to Neo:6 and let you know. Originally I didn't like this mod because I was used to the collapsing of the center channel by DPL - It felt weird listening to DPLII in music mode on TV material at first. But now that I am used to it, I definitely prefer it to regular DPL or cinema DPLII.
I will say this, the Matrix surround mode is actually a very nice mode, even compared to the DPLII music mode. I have basically set up the music mode to sound like the Matrix mode in the 3 front speakers. It's only the surrounds that sound different. I always used the Matrix mode on my 3801, before I got the 3802.
Bryan

Myles

Agent
The early Onkyo's to use PL2 have the lite version (494,595,696) The newest Onkyos have the full version (797, 898).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks