What's new

DPL-II vs. DTS-Neo. Who wins here? (1 Viewer)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I wanted to get an opinion from those who have heard both formats and which one would they choose over the other and why. This applies to both Movies and Music. Does anyone here think that the DPL-II is better than DTS-Neo or vice versa?

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Nick - Early indications are that DPLII is better although a few have voiced contrary opinions. So far, most people have indicated that DPLII is indeed superior.
Elbert

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Nick
I have a 3802 and have compared both and clearly prefer DPL2. At first I wasn't blown away by the difference but the more I listen to them the better DPL2 sounds by comparison. I believe it provides a richer, fuller sound w/better bass IMO.
This only applies to the cinema modes, I like my music in 2 channel stereo so I don't use the music modes.
Hope this helps.
------------------

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
I think the comparison is moot till you have at least a 6 speaker configuration to test neo:6 for the setup it was designed to be at it's optimal.
Also from another Outlaw thread, I gather there has been an update to the decoder. Wonder if existing receivers etc were shipped with the change or not.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

NickSP

Supporting Actor
John-D, exactly what decoder upgrades are you refering too? Looks like I missed it. Also, I thought DPL-II and DTS-Neo were sufficient to use in a 5.1 setup. Am I missing something here?

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Ron Boster's thread of Outlaw 950's Oct shipment in question. Here's a quote from what Outlaw told him
quote: DTS has once again changed its code for Neo:6, and it is still not quite settled[/quote]
quote: Also, I thought DPL-II and DTS-Neo were sufficient to use in a 5.1 setup.[/quote]
Here's a description of both formats from their respective sites
DTS NEO: 6 delivers up to six channels of audio from any two-channel source, analog or digital. This format allows anyone with a DTS NEO: 6 system to simulate a surround sound experience, off of any software you have in your private collection.
ProLogic II will also work with material encoded in Dolby Surround, providing an experience far closer to what consumers now get with Dolby Digital 5.1[/b]
------------------------------------
The things we own end up owning us
[Edited last by John-D on September 06, 2001 at 03:41 PM]

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I agree with Matt's comments. DPL II just fills the room better. (I'm also running a 5.1 system only.)
John-D: Point well taken. But for many, 5.1 is all we'll use/have for a while. At least this 5.1'er, DPL II seems to work better.
------------------

J

John Coleman

Am I missing something here? DD 5.1 is six (C,FR,FL,RR,RL,SW) channels (speakers) of audio. Even though the LFE is only a partial channel, it still counts as one.
------------------
John Coleman
Cobalt Cable
[email protected]

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep, 5.1 means 6 channels.
I guess DPL II doesn't offer a matrixed rear center channel, does it?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Jim Fosgate has stated that DPL II could support more than 5.1. For whatever reason (maybe to be less confusing??) they chose to leave it at 5.1 for now. (IMO, this works just fine for me. I just don't have room for more speakers!)
So no, current applications of DPL II do not have rear center sound.
------------------

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
I could listen to DPL II on the AVC 11 SR alias AVR 4802 in the US at the IFA show in Berlin. First let me say that it is a nice feature to have, but that is already about it. The the hype that has been made here DPL II have been far, far over what you really get. The is absolutely no way to get "blow away". This simply is another DSP which may be a bit better than DTS Neo:6 right now. But has you know DTS is working on DTS Neo:6 so maybe this is going to turn around again.
It result of my experience there is no need to upgrade only for DPL II and absolute not if you already have DTS NEO:6.
------------------

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I have to say that PLII is a very effective upgrade to the old PL. I've heard Neo 6 once before and it did sound good, but PLII seperates the rears in a more discrete type of manner.I've had regular PL for over 4 years, and PLII also has much improved dialogue clarity. Granted, it isn't 100% discrete, and it doesn't have the presence of 5.1/6.1, but it is very useful and is a welcome addition.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Users who are viewing this thread