1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DPL II Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_Mazz, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Bill_Mazz

Bill_Mazz Auditioning

Does anyone who has DPL II notice any improvement in dialog clarity? I have a Yamaha 995 and none of the DSP modes including Yamaha's enhanced prologic seem to help with dialog clarity. I sometimes have trouble understanding dialog in action oriented programs like Farscape and X-files where the characters speak softly while all is exploding about them unless I turn up the volume. I don't have this problem with DTS/Dolby Digital sources but almost all TV programming is at best Dolby Pro Logic.
    I have Klipsch speakers which while bright are known for clarity so I am considering updating my receiver or adding a DPL II external decoder (if such a thing exists).

2. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Are your channels speaker level properly calibrated? You may need to boost your center channel up a little. This will help dialog
    ------------------
    Goto www.erols.com/rmahle to see my theater

3. Bill_Mazz

Bill_Mazz Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestion but my speakers have been calibrated using Yamaha's test tone. The center channel has been set 1 db higher than the other speakers.
    I still notice that at low volumes stereo mode out performs dolby pro logic for dialog clarity. I was wondering if DPL 2 is any better than vanilla prologic or the DSP modes Yamaha provides.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Regular DPL has a limited range center channel, so in comparison with regular stereo, dialogue does sound a bit thinner (and perhaps less clear). DPL2, however, has a full range center channel and does sound quite a bit fuller than regular old DPL. Even at low volumes, DPL2 holds up nicely. And unlike DSP modes, DPL2 doesn't add any fakey reverb to the mix.
    Also... calibrating with the receiver's internal tones is often the wrong way to go. I've seen receivers whose tones are off by as much as 5db in the speakers when compared to a calibration disc such as Avia or Video Essentials. In fact, my Onkyo 595's internal tones were off by 2db in the surrounds, 1db in the center and 10db in the sub (yes, I said TEN DECIBELS).

5. Darren K Price

So even if I calibrated with a SPL that does not mean that they are calibrated? Guess I need to rent one of the calibration discs again.
    [Edited last by Darren K Price on September 06, 2001 at 02:55 PM]

Mark Walker likes this.
  6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Well, I have no experience with the Yamaha, but like I said... I've yet to find a receiver with test tones that matched up to Avia or VE's tones. Your mileage may vary.
    I strongly recommend BUYING one of these discs (I prefer AVIA). It really makes a huge difference in the quality of your monitor and your home theater, and you'll find you use it to tweak stuff here and there.

7. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

>Regular DPL has a limited range center channel,
    The center channel in DPL has the same frequency and dynamic range as the 2 main channnels. The separation varies (although, by Dolby specs, it shouldn't) in some decoders.
    Marty

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor