What's new

DPL II and DPL IIx (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Would the "average" person be able to hear a difference between DPL II and DPL IIx?

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
The Denon receiver I'll have DOES allow me to choose surround back, zone 2 or Bi-Amp. I'm not at all familiar with Bi-Amp. I have two extra Yamaha speakers capable of handling 100 watts. If I choose to go the Bi-Amp route what will this do?

Just Curious, can you use WIRELESS speakers for surround back?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Biamping is when you use two amplifiers to power one speaker. IMHO its more/truly beneficial if you have two separate amplifiers (with separate power supplies) - have one amp power the lower frequencies and another amp power the higher freqs.

You can use wireless speakers for surround back (or anywhere for that matter), and there are some speakers that are wireless. Unfortunately they mostly come with boxed systems and no one has found a great sounding one.

Also, you'd then need power cables for the rear speakers.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Let's see if I understand biamping. If I elect to biamp the surround back speakers they will become part of the mains? When you biamp with the Denon you divert the 2 surround back speakers to where? IF they are diverted to the mains, would they (surround backs) work like "effects" speakers with the mains? I'm not clear on where the sound is diverted when you reassign the surround back speakers.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
if you elect to biamp, you will use one pair of front speakers and run two sets of cables from the amp to that pair. no more surround back

you don't reassign the speakers - you reassign the amplifier. so what happens in the denon is there are, say for example 7 two-channel amplifiers the 7th amplifer can be used in a few ways - as you said, one is to power the rear surrounds in whic case its fed with a signal from the SB channels (right and left)

second way to use it is to power a second zone i.e its fed with a stereo signal form the front L/R channel (from a different source equipment, most likely) so while you are watching a DVD in the theater, someone else could be listening to the tuner while sitting in another room (second zone)

third way is, if you can already feed the amp with a signal from the front L/R channels, you can feed it with a signal from the source that is currently playing. that means you actively have two amplifiers working on the same audio stream. Some speakers have two sets of connectors like so

and you would remove the metal piece between the terminals, connect one amp to one set of terminals, and connect the other amp to the lower set

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Feisalk for clearing this up for me. Unfortunately my speakers (JBL S38) aren't capable of biamping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks