DPL II and Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Morse, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Rob Morse

Rob Morse Auditioning

I just upgraded from 1801 to 3802 and am experiencing a problem with the DPL II when in VCR mode. I use my Hi-Fi VCR as my tuner for analog cable service. Anyway what is happening is that the sound will go from full surround (all channels) to just the center channel, then back to full surround. This happens randomly. My thoughts are that I either have a bad VCR tuner or a problem with the 3802. I checked the threads and did not see any other mention of this problem. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated. Thanks from a newbie.

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Is this in cable mode or vcr mode. You will have to read your manual to see if it will decode the rca inputs in analog mode. I don't know!!!!

3. Rob Morse

Rob Morse Auditioning

My thoughts on confirming the situation are

1.) Switch in my other Hi-fi VCR and try in DPL2 mode

2.) Check current VCR in other surround modes like Neo-6

Connections are cable RG56 to VCR, and composite to the 3802 in VCR1 inputs. VCR is in VCR mode.

Seems to me that DPL2 should decode the analog input, according to the description of it. It wouldn't be intermittant if it couldn't decode analog signals, it just wouldn't work at all.

Any other suggestions in diagnosing the problem?

4. StevenS

StevenS Auditioning

Hi, I have Onkyo 797 for about 2 weeks and it's seems to me that I have same problem.(Problem?) I'm running my cable thru VCR (otherwise it is not a stereo at all), and on some movies center channel change prologic back and force. Maybe it is should be this way?

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Sounds to me like the source and nothing to do with PL II. TV broadcast sound is very variable when it comes to being a combo of mono, stereo, and stereo surround presentations. Also, the channel also has to be broadcasting in stereo as well as the program.

Case in point: I watch X-Files on Fox and then the Practice on ABC. Wow! Spectacular stereo surround (given the limits of analog MTS TV sound). Then I watch Enterprise on UPN on Wednesday (also broadcasting in stereo) and the sound collapses into almost a dull mono with very distorted, hard to understand dialog. It all has to do with the signal quality from the station. Then I'll watch something on Comedy Central (my cable company broadcasts this station in mono) and all the sound will jump to the center speaker if I stay in ProLogic mode (due to the fact that the audio is mono).

Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with your receiver or PL II it's just the combination of the TV source and programming giving you intermittent surround usage.

Dan

6. Rob Morse

Rob Morse Auditioning

Thanks Dan, I had considered that as a possibility and it does make sense. I have only experienced it when watching broadcast TV. When playing pre-recorded tapes there is no sign of this problem, as well, DSS is fine also.

7. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

I take it you have verified the problem remains when you plug the cable directly into the receiver?

jdg