What's new

DPL 12 Sub Design ????? (1 Viewer)

Mark>Som

Auditioning
I am thinking about using a P.E. 500 Watt amp to push a DPL12. I am thinking about using a shiva design, vented at apprx. 5.0 cuft. However, using the 500 Watt amp can I get the same performance using a sealed box?

There are a couple a questions I have before I elect the cabinet design. What is room gain and how can I calculate it. How do a "tune" a box?

This sub will be used for HT 100% of the time. I am looking to not only hear the bass but feel it also.

Any help????

Thanks

Eric Eash

Second Unit
the DPL12 has some awesome low end response. i don't know all the formulas for room gain, but i know all rooms are different. placing the sub in the middle of your room will result in less room gain than if placed next to a wall and even less than if placed in a corner. room gain doesn't need to be calculated, but it will be around 10db more than anechoic. there are a few ways to tune a box. for a sealed box, the size of the box will change the tuning frequency, also an LT crossover will help tune it lower. for a ported box, the port is what determines the tuning frequency. also, stuffing can change the tuning slightly also, but it hard to calculate. i modeled out a 5ft^3 ported box using the DPL12 and it comes out nicely. tuned to 16Hz with a 23.5"L x 4"diameter port, this thing will go low, with -3db@16Hz. although rated for 650W, i show 175W before it bottoms out. i've modeled it sealed, and it won't go near as low as ported. depending on what your budget is, you might want to contact acoustic-visions on this hot little number, dual dpl12. that box is nice.

eric

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
As Eric pointed out, it doesnt need anything over 200 watts or so to reach full excursion using the DPL12 so there is no need to pick up a 500 watt amplifier.

I've done both the 85L vented and the 54L sealed. Neither needed an amp that big. The 250W PE hardly gets the gain nob turned before I run into trouble.

As far as the designs, I use the ported because its use is 90% HT. I really do like the 54L and it did a good job. The ported is a touch boomy at times, but that could be taken care of with a BFD or different room placement. I have been very impressed with the DPL12 and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and Kyle for purchases. You could alway stuff the port if it was too boomy in your room and have a nice sealed sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks