Downward or forward firing sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David Barteaux, Feb 1, 2004.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I am curious which sub would be best for a small basement theater 14x19x7.5 on carpeted cement floor?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That is an insignificant variable compared to the quality of the design. Most would say it makes no difference anyway.

What is your budget?

3. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest that room response is very important. I was curious as to which design would provide the best results on concrete if any.

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

You can't say one design is or proven to be favorable to another for concrete or really any other environment for that matter. It would depend on the sub quality itself not if it's down or front firing.

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Personally, I've had downward and front firing and I prefer downward. In my small listening space, the downward firing seems to provide a wider dispersion and be less "noticable" or "speaker-specific". But that's just me.

6. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

depending on what you have your crossover set at, it shouldn't matter how you have your sub arranged since anything below 80Hz is non-directional. neither type is better. pick what is best for you.

eric

7. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

I wound up making a downfiring sub, but the reasons were practical. I figured that a downfiring driver was less likely to get jabbed by inquiring little fingers or bashed by an errant vacuum cleaner.

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

8. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

That is a beautiful, beautiful sub, Bob K. Did you have some sort of instruction manual for that?

9. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

You're very kind, Cabreau.

I built the sub pretty much straight off the Adire web site -- it's the "mid-Q" sealed Tempest design, with an AVA 250W amp. I did double up the top and bottom (the bottom being the driver baffle) so they are 1 1/2" thick.

I have two left thumbs. If I can build a sub, anyone can!

10. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

The problem is having the tools.

Looks like Norm Abram from the New Yankee Workshop in there [​IMG]

11. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Some prefer a front firing sub because the direct-radiated wave is the first to arrive at your ear, and all reflected sound arrives later. A DF sub will send ONLY reflected sound to your ear.

Most prefer a DF sub because the driver is protected (mentioned above) and not visible (WAF). There is also a dB or 2 of gain associated with the compression realized from the space between the floor, or a baseplate, and the driver (depending on the engineering of that space).

You can also make the argument that a DF sub is less localizeable (depending on the selected filter corner), because the higher freqs that your ear uses to pinpoint the direction of the sound's origin don't turn bends. This is true, but a kind of twisted logic. For a sub to 'blend seamlessly', all of the freqs fed to it through a LP filter should be heard.

Unfortunately, the HT sub game has evolved into a 'loud beats accurate' numbers game. I'm fine with that, but I certainly cringe when people claim to have both when, in most cases, it just ain't so.