What's new

Downloading music files (1 Viewer)

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I have recently gotten into downloading music files from the internet. I haven't really found a good site to download from. I want to be able to have legal copies for the files i get (so no Kazaa) I've looked it MP3.com and they don't seem to have all the artist I'm looking for. (I couldn't find "Dave Mathews Band" for instance)

So my question I'm asking is this; is there a site that offers a complete catologe of all music artist out there across all generes; rock, pop, country, techno, etc...? maybe list of all the best ones.

Thanks all

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Although I can't say for certain, I think the "every song from every artist" ideal will never be available in one location. Why? Money. The different music companies will license songs to a particular service or medium and not to others. This is similar to why Sony artists don't appear on DVD-Audio, but on SACD where Sony gets a cut. It is understandable from a business perspective but is a pain for those who would like easy access to legal downloads.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Apple's service will be available to PC owners in September. That's far and away the best service out there

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend backing up your songs yourself. That way you know what encoding scheme was used. But if you're backing up Vinyls/casettes I can see why you'd like this service.

Apple's service does look the best, but it ain't free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks