Downloading music files

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Leiter, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

I have recently gotten into downloading music files from the internet. I haven't really found a good site to download from. I want to be able to have legal copies for the files i get (so no Kazaa) I've looked it MP3.com and they don't seem to have all the artist I'm looking for. (I couldn't find "Dave Mathews Band" for instance)

So my question I'm asking is this; is there a site that offers a complete catologe of all music artist out there across all generes; rock, pop, country, techno, etc...? maybe list of all the best ones.

Thanks all

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Although I can't say for certain, I think the "every song from every artist" ideal will never be available in one location. Why? Money. The different music companies will license songs to a particular service or medium and not to others. This is similar to why Sony artists don't appear on DVD-Audio, but on SACD where Sony gets a cut. It is understandable from a business perspective but is a pain for those who would like easy access to legal downloads.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Apple's service will be available to PC owners in September. That's far and away the best service out there

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'd recommend backing up your songs yourself. That way you know what encoding scheme was used. But if you're backing up Vinyls/casettes I can see why you'd like this service.

Apple's service does look the best, but it ain't free.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer