Download free movies!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Francois Caron, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Now that I have the attention of every moderator on this board... [​IMG]

Broadband Reports posted today that the site http://www.archive.org is making available old movies that are now part of the public domain. You can find them at http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...ature_films%22 .

This might be an opportunity to find that long lost title you thought you'd never see again.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

And now with the attention of the mods focused here, I would assume the thread gets moved to a different forum since it doesn't have anything to do with DVDs.

Cool find though. +karma+ to you.

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Since when does "Home Theater Software" mean only DVDs?

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Yep. Probably better off in the Movies section. Pretty wild.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Let's see, I can either buy PC software in a retail package on CD or I can download it off the internet.

I can either buy movie software in a retail package (DVD, VHS, LD, whatever) or (in this case) download it off the internet. Either way, it's still software.

The point of this post was about available software, not discussion about the specific movies themselves. So I think it was in the right forum to start with.

Whatever.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I agree, this belongs in software.

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Boy, I tend to agree on the software bit..

But this is a good sign. Lots of films have went into the public domain, and releasing them in this way is the right thing to do. It's the modern day equivelent of rights-free library book distribution [​IMG]

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The Internet Archive is great. Along with films, they also have concert recordings and the "Wayback Machine" which has been archiving as much of the WWW as possible for some time now.

Going back to the topic at hand, the films are available in a variety of formats and are encoded quite well. Sometimes the source material isn't the best, but I have yet to find a film that wasn't watchable. Those who wish to burn the MPEG2 versions to DVD should know, however, that they aren't correctly formatted for NTSC DVD. The resolution is a little off. They have to be reincoded first. As to why they didn't bother to encode them correctly to begin with, I don't know. It's a minor hassle.

9. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I downloaded the MPEG4 version of the Sherlock Holmes "Dressed to Kill" movie just to check this out. Watched a bit of it on the PC. I found that I had to use Quicktime. Divx couldn't play the audio (didn't have the codec). With Quicktime, it looked okay on the normal (small) size, but when blown up it looked pretty bad.

Regarding the MPEG2, Brian, exactly how do I re-encode it for NTSC DVD? I may want to do this on a couple of them. I just bought a DVD burner for my PC (not even installed yet) but don't have any DVD encoding/burning experience.