What's new

Downgrading from sonosub to compact (1 Viewer)

SteveF

Grip
I have a 12" shiva, and an RCM-Akustik Detonation 110 MK II (190 W RMS I believe). Right now it is housed in a 24" ID, ported sonosub of approximately 36" height.
For a number of aesthetic/renovation reasons, and changes in the way we use our system, I'd like to downsize to a compact, musical sub using these parts. I can keep the sonosub frame in case I change my mind later.
Is building a small-volume sealed cube sub as straightforward as it seems or are there some interesting (but not too challenging) wood projects out there that can create good results? I'm not looking for bone-shaking < 20 Hz response. I probably will skip on a passive radiator design as I'd like to keep this project short and avoid buying too many extra parts.
I've found some DIY sealed system guides at the following
link:
* http://www.diysubwoofers.org/sld/
Thoughts welcomed on any preferred designs you folks have uncovered.

A

Anthony_Gomez

just go to Adire audio and look at their sealed application papers. they have full plans for this driver in all three common alightments.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Steve, if you do decide to go with a PR, I have two brand spanking new ones from Adire Audio. They are the ones that come with 385 grams already in/on them. Just e-mail me if you want a good deal!

SteveF

Grip
Thanks Anthony - I had forgotten about those. Assuming I go with the 88.5l Q=0.6 configuration, that leaves me with two questions:

Is there general consensus on good dampening fill for the subs? I would like to use something fire-retardant, non-toxic, and acoustically effective.

Has anyone captured steps and tips for building any of these designs, similar to some of the DIY sonosub guides? Even to get a real picture of the Adire plans after assembly would be great. At the very least I can review sonosub guides to get some generic construction tips.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
got a basement/attic/closet handy?
it would be less work, more stelthy, and sound better to make a single driver IB out of it.
course maby putting a hole in the wall/celing/floor wanst what you had in mind :)

SteveF

Grip
Infinite baffle is not an option unless I want to use the living room as the enclosure :) After my 9cuft sonosub, I have since realized a smaller sealed sub is adequate for our system, although I am probably just looking for an excuse to build another sub. The Adire plans for a low-Q sealed sub seem like a nice match:
* 88.5 liters
* ~ 18" x 22" x 16.5" outer dimensions
* Fb = 35 Hz
* F8 = 17.3 Hz in-room
I'm even suspecting that I'd be happy with a ~60 l setup that looks similar to the Adire Rava. A smaller, cube sub will definitely get more SAF points and a Q of 0.67 seems fine.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
"...unless I want to use the living room as the enclosure..."
would that be such a bad thing? :)
im just so pleased with my IB, i get to thinking anyone that can do an IB should do an IB, if its possible in any way.
course thats just me, YMMV :)

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm even suspecting that I'd be happy with a ~60 l setup that looks similar to the Adire Rava. A smaller, cube sub will definitely get more SAF points and a Q of 0.67 seems fine.
The quik'n'easy way would be to buy the enclosure from MCM for $91. Then you would have the same enclosure that Adire uses for the Rava. I'd line it with the 1.5" foam from Parts Express for a little added damping, but YMMV. As a happy Rava owner, I think you would be pleased, especially for the cost and effort involved.

Peter

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
Are you referring to http://www.mcmelectronics.com/ ? If so, I was able to find an item there that seems to be a subwoofer enclosure . Unfortunately, there's no picture for the item. Is that finished like the Rava, and just needs padding, driver/amp and sealing?
No, look for the 80-430, made by AMS. There is a picture on the site, so you'll know it when you see it. $90.85. And yes, it's pre-finished and ready to stuff and play.
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks