What's new

'Downgrade' from Denon 4800 to Yamaha 2500? (1 Viewer)

Juan C

Second Unit
I have a Denon AVC-A10SE (Euro version of the Denon 4800, minus tuner) and I'm seriously thinking of migrating to the Yamaha RX-V2500.

The features I'm interested in include auto-calibration, lipsync delay adjust, video upconversion and Silent Cinema (nice to have with a baby at home). Other features, such as DPLII and IIx, DTS 24/96 or the tuner, are not so critical.

Sheer amplifying power would be undoubtedly inferior, but my speakers are not that demanding (JM Lab Chorus).

Actually, I read the following on another forum:

Does my idea make any sense or not?

TIA!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Juan, Your ideas do make sense. Don't think of the process that you are about to partake in as a downgrade. The newer receivers offer lots of features that were only available in the flagship receivers a few years back.

Your money can go for in purchasing a receiver today.

Juan C

Second Unit
Thanks for the advice, Wayne. FWIW I heard there will be a Denon 4805 in the future, but I don't think I want to spend that kind of money. Heck, the only reason I have the A10SE is that I found a bargain price for it (end-of-life product and all), and I could probably resell it for nearly the same price I'd pay for the Yammy. :D

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Definitely listen in an A/B comparison. Denon has made great strides in it's $1000 MSRP class. I was astonished by how good my Denon AVR-3803 sounds. It sounds so much more dynamic and clean than my Yamaha RX-V2095 and the newer amp technology of the Yamaha RX-V2300 I had, then exchanged for the Denon. Also imaging and soundstage are more realistic being wider and more focused. Then again, that's what I heard on my own equipment. You may hear different.

I would try a 3805 which S&V and Home Theater Magazine tested to find that it's a powerhouse in multichannel surround.

Have a good one.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would also give the Pioneer Elite 54TX and 56TXi a look (and listen). Very comparable features, loads of power, and a very clear, clean, neutral sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonjabe33
Recent bookmarks