Downfiring or frontfiring subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jaydee, Oct 29, 2002.

1. jaydee

jaydee Stunt Coordinator

I seem to feel the down firing better than a side or frontfiring. What is the difference?

2. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Both have design advantages and disadvantages. You can find excellent examples of both. It is probably the least important thing to judge whether you like a sub or not:
    Great front firing subs include the Aerial, great downfiring subs include REL, ACI and SVS

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Some drivers can't and/or shouldn't be used down firing. Depends on how much the driver sags due to gravity. If it doesn't sag too much it can be used in either orientation. Sonically there should be no difference between the two orientations if everything else about the sub is the same.

4. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

jaydee,
    Why not both a front firing and a down firing......all in the same box - M&K! I have an M&K MX-80 (dsicontinued), which has 2 12" drivers in a push-pull configuration. The dual drivers effectively doubles the amplifier power (3db gain). This configuration also reduces even order harmonic distortion.....so they say. Check out M&K's website for some good info (www.mksound.com).
    Greg

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I always wondered about this. Went from a front-firing Velodyne HGS-12 to a Vandersteen V2W.
    I always figured that a vertical firing sub would have less problems with gravity. I.e., imagine looking at the cone of a front-firing sub. Not knowing much of anything, I'd imagine that the bottom of the rubber "surround" is under an entirely different set of "stresses" than the top. (Bottom is under compression, top is under tension.) But to me looking at it, I don't any design considerations for that (beefier, thicker rubber on the bottom vs the top for example). But maybe doesn't matter anyway. Maybe all the support is internal to what I see on the outside. But I always wondered about it nonetheless. [​IMG]

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I concluded that the rubber or foam surrounds arn't what holding the cone but it's mostly the magnet.
    The cone doesn't weight that much but if there was a heavy aluminum cone and very flimsy foam surrounds then downfiring could create some sag. With FF there's no force pulling or pushing the cone.
    Downfiring subs: Better protected from kids and getting pushed in, lower COG for the enclosure, fires at ground which can absorb some unwanted noise.
    Front Firing subs: No driver sag, Can be lined up with the mains drivers, more flexible with position due to driver direction.
    More thoughts: The DF driver can be a lot more stable and better grounded due to an up/down motion of the driver that pushes against the ground while a FF sub can rock the sub back and forth. (in a sense)
    Conclusion: They sound the same [​IMG]