Downfiring or front firing question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerrickN, Mar 10, 2002.

1. DerrickN

DerrickN Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm planning to build a 54L sealed Shiva sub using Hypex HS200 amp. My living room have a floating Pergo wood floor, should I go with downfiring or front firing design? Originally, I was planning to go with downfiring and using a granite slab as a base. But one of my friend told me that downfiring should be used for a carpet room only. Is he right or wrong? Please help!!!

Thanks,

Derrick

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

No. That is not true.

Downfiring and frontfiring subs should give the same performance.

3. Ben Ven

Ben Ven Stunt Coordinator

Your friend is probably thinking that you will reflect some of the sound off a "hard surface" floor. At the frequencies the subs will be operating, this is not an issue since the wavelengths will be much longer than the 3-4" the woofer will be from the ground. Also, I have found a difference, at least in my room, with front firing and downfiring woofers. I can make the pictures fall off the walls with downfiring woofers!! Not a good idea when the wife is around. [​IMG]

4. DerrickN

DerrickN Stunt Coordinator

Guys,

Thanks for the valuable information.

5. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Has anybody els experimented with front, vs, down firing subs? I am ver curious as to the findings. As well as,..ports to the rear, or to the bottom?

>>>--->