1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

downfiring onto MDF

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tyler Cookson, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson Stunt Coordinator

doing a DIY sub, and doing construction now. It will be downfiring, but I know I will be building pegs so it stands about 3 3/4" tall, but should I have it downfiring onto an extra thing of mdf (which would be attached) or should I just downfire it onto carpet. would it make any difference?

2. Tyler Cookson

anyone have any input? I am finishing it up right now, just a quick response is all I need

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  4. Tyler Cookson

hmm, excellent, but I heard when down firing you should keep the sub box 1/4 of the diamater of your sub above the ground. for example a 12 inch sub should be placed 3 inches above the ground. true or myth?

5. Tyler Cookson

as for amplifcation, what would be the best bang for the buck I can get? I am looking for very good sound, unfortunetly have a MAX of 300 to spend on an amp for it. Go plate amp for it or seperate? sub is 1500rms (but its a huge box) so anything 350 watts and up is good. Final load needs to be 4 ohms. Thank you.

Tyler