What's new

Downfalls Of Using Ps3 For Bluray?*** (1 Viewer)

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden
Besides fast loading times, i've never heard anything else about using a ps3 for bluray duties. what are some of the disadvantages using a ps3 for bluray compared to a standalone bluray player?

thanks and aloha
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
-need a third party add-on bluetooth->IR converter or USB->IR dongle/IR remote if you want to control it using a universal remote instead of the controller. Or have to buy the Sony bluetooth remote.
-no analog multi-ch output, if you have an older AV receiver that has analog multi-ch in, but doesn't have HDMI audio processing, that you don't want to replace, AND you feel that you absolutely must use the newer audio codecs.
-more expensive than the cheapest BD models
-draws more power, slightly noisier.
-no Netflix streaming capability if that holds any appeal to you.

But on the other hand it is fairly fast, decodes all audio formats over HDMI, BD-live, + it's a game machine & has media center capabilities.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

That's not 100% true as you can use PlayOn or other third party tools ($) to achieve Netflix streaming. Maybe the downside should be that it isn't native and will require additional costs/products unlike the native capabilities in the the LG player.

To me the biggest downfalls are the bluetooth remote and the high cost of the unit compared to, say, the Panasonic DB-35. Otherwise it's a great bluray player.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
That is NOT true. The PS3 is fully capable of bitstreaming all the existing lossless (HD Audio) codecs.

*EDITED*
I stand corrected on this issue. As pointed out below by 'Stephen Tu', the PS3 DOES NOT, send out the original bitstream via HDMI, rather it decodes the HD audio formats onboard and then outputs them as LPCM.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Really? We're talking bitstream here, as in receiver-side decoding of TrueHD/DTS-HD MA, not LPCM right?

I see no real drawbacks toward PS3 use as a BD player. After seriously considering one, I grabbed a Panasonic DMP-BD55 as the form-factor/functionality fit better in my setup.

I can't play Splinter Cell on my Panny, though. I tried.

wally

Second Unit
We've had the PS3 almost a year now and just love it. The media hub, and ability to do wireless updates are really cool.

We purchased the PS3 as a BR player, but have gotten into games over the last year. Blockbuster 5 day rentals with a 5 day grace period gives you the time to finish most titles. Even the wife is joining in on gaming with Little Big Planet, Sackboy Rules! From what I've seen, Playstation@Home is a little new to evaluate.

Downsides:

Lack of analog outs, but I'm using this downside as rationalization to upgrade the ol' Denon to an HDMI model!

Inability to use IR remote. Not deal breaker for us. We ponied up the $20 for the Sony remote and have it sitting alongside our Harmony!

We don't think of the expense much since we are using many of the abilities this amazing box offers. Much more than just a BR player!

Six thumbs up. Me, wife, and son!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

Actually it is true; your statement is incorrect. The PS3 is capable of decoding all the newer codecs and sending it via HDMI as LPCM, but is not able to send the original undecoded bitstream which is what is meant by "bitstreaming".

But it's not really a disadvantage, as in theory decoding in the player vs. decoding in the receiver should be identical (barring implementation bugs, and a small advantage in being able to mix in commentary/menu audio in the player). The only thing you miss is seeing the "TrueHD"/"DTS-HD/MA" light up on your fancy new receiver, no big deal.

In the final analysis, funkdoktor, just ask:
- do I want to play PS3 games?
- what's my budget?
- do I absolutely want to use/try the new audio codecs?
- if so, what connections does my current receiver support, or do I wish to upgrade my receiver also?

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden

*yes i want to play ps3 games.
*around 4 hundred (which is what the ps3 is selling at the moment i think)
*what new audio codecs does ps3 not support and why?
*my current receiver does not support hdmi but my faithful ol' sony should get an upgrade anyway.

thanks and aloha

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Games are the LAST thing I'd use my PS3 for.

I upgraded my receiver to HDMI, and enjoy the HD audio formats that way. DTS HD-MA, Dolby TrueHD and their variants are decoded internally and output as lossless PCM through the HDMI. It decodes and streams the "core" DTS and Dolby ac3 basic formats through the optical out, which is of better quality than their DVD counterparts (full-bitrate DTS at 1.5mbps, and 640kbps Dolby ac3)

Basically, I went in for the Blu, and stayed for the video file playback, audio file playback, media file storage, media streaming, photo viewing, internet surfing, trailer downloading, and yes still in for the Blu as well.

I had no idea it had those additional capabilities when I got it.

Playstation 3 is the bestest toy I've ever had!

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden

so if paired with an hdmi capable receiver i should be able to to receive all of the formats available at the moment from the ps3?

and the ps3 has optical outs on it?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the PS3 starts off completely silent but after a while of playback (xx minutes), fans starts kicking in and it can get quite loud.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I don't know if I just lucked out with my particular PS3 unit, but I rarely if ever, find fan noise to be loud, distracting or even noticeable when I watch Blu-ray discs. Now, my Denon 3910 on the other hand, depending on the disc, often sounds like a jet aircraft!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

That depends entirely on WHERE the PS3 is placed, and what you are doing with it.

If it's in an area with good ventilation it should stay cool and quiet, and it will only get hot if playing video games on it. I have a demo called "MotoGP", the only game demo I play because it's fun to fall off the bike, and playing it uses more memory and more power - just like a computer performing a task which uses a lot of CPU.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I love mine. I bought it to watch movies and act as a backup SACD player (got one while that was still an option). I also LOVE the bluetooth remote (and I think all devices should be bluetooth rather than IR) as it allowed me to place the PS3 in the next room, hooked up to another TV for kid gaming/movie watching duty (which also obviates the only thing about it that I find a bit disappointing--a somewhat loud fan on my unit). I've never had a hiccup with any BD, its fast load time (after having experienced my friends Sony first gen 300 standalone player) is great and I plan to exploit the media server ability when time allows (too busy watching movies at the moment). No regrets whatsoever.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

But unless you're getting an older used one or a rare one off of eBay, the only PS3s in production (80GB and 160GB) have 2 USB ports as does my own 40GB.

I wish mine had SACD capability, as there are 3 SACDs I have always wanted to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks