What's new

Downfalls Of Using Ps3 For Bluray?*** (1 Viewer)

funkdoktor

Agent
Real Name
joe budden
Besides fast loading time with the ps3 I have never heard anything good about the ps3 being used for bluray. Why is that?

thanks and aloha
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
This is in the right section. I think this is a good question and I too would like to see what people think.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
In the "high definition hardware" section, people don't have anything bad to say about the PlayStation 3. Apparently, as long as you don't need multichannel analog audio outputs, it does everything better than any other player, & at a good price point as well.

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the only downfall is for people like me with older receivers that don't have HDMI and have to settle for the lossy soundtracks by using optical connections.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
greetings

Down sides ...

Fan noise if you put it in a tight shelf.

Remote control as game controller not the best.

Unit also gets much hotter than the stand alone units and consumes a lot more juice.

(I have one too ... as well as 5 stand alone units.)

Beyond what has been listed here.

regards

latiger12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie

I have had no problems with my playstation3. The quality is great with the HDMI connection. I would agree the remote is kinda of pain, but once you get used to it, your fine.

latiger12

Auditioning
Real Name
Jamie
I have had no problems with my playstation3. The quality is great with the HDMI connection. I would agree the remote is kinda of pain, but once you get used to it, your fine.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

If you want to spend $ to improve that, try swapping to a cooler running HDD like the Western Digital Scorpio series (which also consumes less power).

Also, the newer models may be more energy efficient and cooler running in general.

I have a PS3/40GB that runs substantially cooler after swapping HDD (for the WD Scorpio).

_Man_

wargamer6

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Simmonds
The HD quality is generally the same from a PS3 compared to a regular blu ray player, right?

bonny27

Auditioning
Real Name
Grahan Mark
PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD, only DTS and DD Live. It decodes the HD Audio formats internally and outputs it as PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks