down with love reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sam E. Torres, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

yeah yeah...i'm impatient and i can't wait less than 24 hours...just give me the reviews already...i don't have a problem.

2. Kevin Clemons

Kevin Clemons Stunt Coordinator

Digitallyobsessed.com has a review up for it today. I didn't like the flick as much as Joel did but it sure is a great DVD.

Kevin

3. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Here's a minor, but intriguing, question:

Down With Love stands as the first time in decades that the classic Fox "CinemaScope" lead-in has been attached to a feature film for release (select "CinemaScope" films have been released, such as Fox's animated Anastasia in 1997, presumably shot with CinemaScope lenses {?}, but none have had the original CinemaScope lead-in card and 20th Century Fox logo since sometime in the 60's). I still don't know if Down With Love was actually shot with CinemaScope or Panavision lenses and/or camera housings -- the lead-in may have just been a gag. But it was swell to see it attached to a national release in 2003!

Does the DVD preserve this lead-in for the film? Or is that little treat something Fox only wanted to offer theatrical patrons in the know?

UPDATE: Oops. [​IMG] I should have followed the Digitally Obsessed link above -- this question is answered in the first line the reviewer wrote! I'm happy to see they've preserved the lead-in ... so, a new question: does anyone know if the film was indeed shot with CinemaScope lenses? Or is the lead-in just a gag designed around the setting of the picture?

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The IMDB lists "Panavision" under its technical specifications, with no mention of CinemaScope. I think it was just a gag - notice that they used the old Twentieth Century Fox logo as well. Too bad Regency couldn't come up with a retro-looking vanity card, as theirs was a little out of place.

5. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

love this movie.

good picture, great sound.

Ewan is the man! He should be James Bond.

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

WTF, my local Walmart didn't order any copies! [​IMG]

7. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Wow, Thomas C,my area is flooded with the dvds.You would think a place like wal mart would have it. The most underated flick of the year, loved it in theatres. Bought my copy early this morning along with lion king.[​IMG]

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

9. Xenia Stathakopoulou

The reason i think this movie had horrible box office is the trailers. Did anyone see them ? It makes the movie seem awful and not what it really is. Luckilly i read positive reviews in magazines, newspapers, online, and caught it in the theatre during its extremely short run. Glad to have it in my collection. [​IMG]

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I thought the trailer did a great job of promoting the movie. Are you talking about the TV spots? I didn't catch any of them.

11. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

The trailer got my attention as well, it made it look different to all the other romantic comedies that are released every year. I guess most people didn't want 'different'. The timing might have been a factor as well since it was released the same weekend as Reloaded. I don't think it did all that well over here either, it opened about a month ago and on the opening weekend I was the only one in the theatre. Disappointing, hopefully it will find its audience on DVD. I should have it in my hands soon.

12. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Lol Nick, the only one in the theatre ! I thought the showing i went to was bad, about 15 people.[​IMG]

13. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Thomas, im talking about tv spots, never actually saw the trailer so cant say.

14. WillG

WillG Producer

15. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I still think it is a gag just like using the old Fox logo.

16. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Loved this movie
    Can't wait to watch the disk!

Side note- WHo thinks Ewan would make a great Superman? He pulls off an impressive Clark Kent here!

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Glad to see more people enjoying this movie. I think it's one of the most underrated and overlooked comedies of the year.

Twas like a breezy breath of fresh air, I tells ya.

Looking forward to buying this one...soon.

18. Mick B

Mick B Stunt Coordinator

Interesting note. Wife rented pan and scan version which we watched tonite. The stupid ass studio had to zoom out to widescreen every time they had a split screen telephone scene so that they could get everybody in the frame. Then when the scene was over it zoomed back into full screen. And since it is a Doris Day type 60's movie it happended quite often. "Hey, why is the pitcher getting smaller and then bigger? Honey give the tv a whack on the side."

oh CinemaScope logo was there. It was a gag. It fit the feel of the movie.

19. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

i am pretty pissed off about the lack of trailer. i LOVED the trailer for this movie and i had to argue with all my friends about why i thought this movie looked so good...and now i have to argue with them about why it was necessary for me to buy a dvd that comes in a pink case...haha.