Down to two recievers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid K, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

I have narrowed it down to the kenwood and yamaha, and just want to get the most bang for my buck. From the main things I have seen the yamaha has these things that the kenwood doesnt, ability to transmit component picture effectively, and high current amplifier, built for 6.1 surround. (not sure what high current amp does). The kenwood has THX select, and 25 more watts per channel but not built for 6.1. So how big of a deal is 25 more watts/thx select/ and high current amplification?

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Read my answer in your other thread[​IMG]

3. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Ya with the xbox I already bought the compenent kit (red/green/blue/yellow/white I think I know it has 5 lol) So I want that to work to its best ability. Iam guessing ill need to buy component cables to hook the reciever to the TV right? So mainly all I want to know now is how big of a deal is how big of a deal:
    1. 25 watts more per channel is
    2. made for 6.1 discrete
    3. high current amplication
    4. THX select

4. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

Come on I bet someone else wants to give some input

5. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

Maybe if you give a budget of how much you want to spend we can direct you.

6. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

I have 800 canadian to spend but I have decided these are the two I want, and would like some help making the final decision.

7. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Jeremy posted a full endorsement for the Yamaha on your other thread. I will not give you my opinion on either the Kenwood or the Yamaha as I have not heard either one. There was another thread a couple weeks ago and it came down to the same 2 receivers someone had said the Kenwood was great for home theater but was not really all there for listening to music. I'll include a link to Audioholics they have some useful information on buying a new receiver. If you have it down to 2 the best thing to do is listen to both receivers side by side and make the final call. If your dealer has the Kenwood and Yamaha have them hook them up to some speakers that will be similar or the same as what you are planning on running. If the dealer is unwilling to do this for you he doesn't want to sell the product. Do some of the tests that are in the Audioholics receiver buyer guide and that will help make your final decision.

http://www.audioholics.com/index.php