What's new

Down to two, JVC or Sony? (1 Viewer)

Nathan PGC

Auditioning
Alright guys, thanks for all of your previous help. In the course of my birthday I scored $300 in Best Buy Gift Certificates, so I'm able to make the stretch to a 32" Flat Screen TV at $800.
So, now I'm stuck on which to get. Sony 32" Flat, or a JVC 32" Flat? The comparison at BestBuy.com isn't much of a difference, and both offer the 16:9 Squeeze, yet the JVC is $50 cheaper. That $50 could easily go towards GameCube and Xbox Component cables, saving me money in the long run.
Any advice against the JVC? Otherwise, I might just go for it, as much as I was looking forward to the Sony.
Thanks again!
-Nathan
Here's the two TVs, btw:
Sony: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26
JVC: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

I was in your shoes right after xmas and when I compared the picture side by side the sony just flat out looked better then the JVC. So I went with the Sony and Have been happy with it. But shop around to all electronic stores so you can get the best deal possible. You might be able to haggle the price down. Good luck

lee.b

Stunt Coordinator
My two cent:

I just purchased the kv27fv300 a couple weeks ago. I'm nuts about it. Even though I discovered the oft told about pink lines on the side (during white backgrounds, etc)I am still very pleased with it.

One reason is not only the picture - which is often outstanding for a non-hdtv signal, but the sound. This tv has the sub-woofer included. All I can say is...when you combine this with the trusurround - it really is an experience. It's not dolby 5.1, but it's not just an ordinary stereo tv either.

the 32fv100, while an upgrade in size, does not have the subwoofer. If you don't have an outboard stereo system, perhaps it's something you want to think about - that is, which is more important: a solid all around 27" with theater type sound for all the music that will be watched/played on it, or a larger 32" with out as robust a sound.

I won't steer you either way because only you know what is best for you, but it is something to consider. Also, the wega fv's are being discontinued...look around for 32" display models and the like that are discounted further....mine was.

Between the jvc and sony, I would just say that the jvc shows speakers (2) that are half the wattage (5 apiece) of the sony. I would put more weight in the sony product (even with some pink bars that you 'probably' will see on a white background), than the 50 dollar jvc price improvement.

The best of both worlds though: seek out a 32" 300series wega (subwoofer included) as offered as a display model or closeout. I would try circuit city as well, it's where I found my display unit. They are the ones who told me they were being discontinued. Hope this helps...

Bob Mc

Auditioning
Nathan I'm in the same boat you are right now and have been doing a bunch of research on both brands of tv. One thing you might want to keep in mind is how many inputs your going to need going into the tv. From what I've been able to see so far most of if not all Sony's have 4 video inputs on their sets. The JVC's have 3 or 4 depending on the model. Those numbers include any input on the front of the tv. It's just something you might want to consider if you have a bunch of components like I do. Good luck and enjoy whichever new set you decide to purchase.

Nathan PGC

Auditioning
I'm still up in arms about which one, but I've got a good idea. I'll find out tonight when I go to pick one up I guess. :)
So, I have a few hours still before I go. Both TVs have 1 year parts and labor warranty..is it worth the $99 for Best Buys 4 year performance plan or whatever it is?

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
YES!! I say this because it is electronic equipment and anything can happen. Its truly your choice on extended warranty and the TV. But get the extended and the Sony :D .

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One thing that the JVC has over the WEGA is a one-touch 16:9 mode button on the remote. With the Sony you must navigate the user menus and select it. A small difference, but I have a KV-32FS12 and going through the menus can be a pain. The fact that the JVC has a button for it on the remote also means it has a discrete IR code, making it easy to program a Pronto or other HT remote. Something else to consider.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

You can create a macro to take care of this function on the sony wega. So problem solved. And if that is all the JVC has over the sony and you can by pass that one little issue then the Sony is the clear choice. :p)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Kevin - You can only create a macro if you have a programmable remote, and it's a clunky macro at that. I know, I use one on my WEGA. :) I was merely pointing out that it's nice to have a discrete code. Why Sony hasn't added a one-button solution to this in the 4 years the WEGA has been in production is beyond me.
Anyway, didn't mean to hijaack this thread. Getting back to the two sets, I've compared them and PQ seems to be about even. That's why I mentioned the 16:9 mode access issue. If I were shopping for them the decision would boil down to convenience features, service menu accessibility, and price.

EricM

Auditioning
I went through the TV buying process last year. I ended up with a JVC and I have been extremely happy with it. Things that I learned:

1. Its very difficult to judge the quality of the picture in the store. Both TVs can be calibrated with Avia or VE to get you a better picture.

2. The speakers are somewhat important but once you connect your TV to your HT set-up, you really dont use them that much. (Unless you are just watching TV.)

3. I would definitely get the extended warranty. $99 for 4 years sounds very good to me. (I got the extended warranty and it covered maintenance in my home.) If on the off chance you do need work done, you'll have to bring that beast of a TV into the store. Thats worth $99 alone to me.

4. The bells and whistles aren't necessarily worth it. For example, I wanted PIP. That function is worthless when you have SAT.

Bottom line, I think both JVC and Sony make very good TVs. You did your research now buy the one you like. You really cant make a mistake with either one.

Good Luck.

Nathan PGC

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help everyone. Here's how it all went down once we got to Best Buy:
I decided on the Sony, but the extra $99 wasn't in my budget, as much as I wanted it. I told the guy I wanted the Sony, which was priced at $743. I told him that the warranty wasn't in my budget, which he came back with. "Well, how about I give you a 12% discount, matching it with Audio King? That'd bring it down to $653..is that in your budget?"
You better believe it was. I jumped on it right away, with the $99 warranty included. I even convinced my wife to spend an extra $50 on a 36" stand at Target.
Thanks again for all your help guys, and we can defintely tell we're going to enjoy our new TV! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks