1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Down to a choice of L-R Mains in wall choices. Need help please

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by olddog, Oct 31, 2018.

1. olddog

olddog Extra

james
    Room size 25X30. Denon X 3300W doing the driving.
    Budget 600.00
    Here is what I am down to
    Elac IW D61
    Bose 891
    Polk 265RT
    Klipsh R5502

Wild card I have never heard of??
    Earthquake EWS-LA63

your help as always appreciated

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'm familiar with all of them, and I have the Elac Debut 6.2, which is the bookshelf version of the Elac IW D61 and they are sweet sounding. Best imaging you'll get in the price range, but you won't get nearly the same imaging with in-wall versions. Anyway, that would be my suggestion. They're especially great with music, if that matters. With any of them, I recommend using a subwoofer.

BTW, the Elacs need a decent amount of break-in time. Their sound changes significantly during break-in and they don't sound good out of the box. Give them at least 40 hours of fairly aggressive break-in.

Oh yeah, that room is far too big for ANY in-wall speaker to be sufficient in. You're seriously selling the system short and you'll never be truly happy with it, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices. Just thought I'd mention it.

John Dirk likes this.
  3. Message #3 of 5 Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    olddog

olddog Extra

james
    Thanks for the input. The listeing area on the blue prints looks to be 19' deep X 22'( seating will be centered) wide, but open to the kitchen dining on the right for another 23'x12'. The L-R speakers will be around 10' apart. I have 2 Carver Sig subs 1200W each. Doing RSL C34E X4 each on celing for Atmos. Wharfdale Zaldek Center(twin 6.5 woofers with horn loaded mid and tweeter-75-29Kh, 90 Db, 6 Ohm.'s
    Have a pair of B&W 805's floor standers but trying to make the wife happy and dedicate those to a 2 channell tubeTT system in my cave.

Thanks so much for the help. Retired so don't have all that extra cash flow to asorb these things but have saved and sold for this project outside of home building budget which will need to include a new 4K TV along with sutiable 4K player..:popcorn::rolleyes::blink:

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Just as an FYI, the ELAC Debut 6.2 are often only $250/pair, which is a big savings from the in-wall version. Put a couple small shelves on the wall instead of big holes in the wall, and you save money, get better sound, and can change to different speakers a lot easier, if you want to.

5. Message #5 of 5 Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Not trying to be critical since I don't know your overall situation but I've never understood why people put their best gear in shared rooms when they have a "cave" available. I have a beautiful 65 inch OLED in my main living room that barely gets any use because my wife isn't the HT nut, I am. When she's down here she knows we're going into full Theater mode. Lights, sound, picture, everything.