What's new

down to 3 reciever choices... please help me decide! (1 Viewer)

joe_waite

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys, im down to 3 reciever choices and need your help. the 3 are

harman kardon avr-300
panasonic he-100
pionner vsx-711

please dont tell me to get the 811 because i have NO need for it. this system will be used in a small apartment. i will use JBL s-26 fronts/rears, JBL s-center, and sony sw40 sub.

i will be using the reciever for about 60% music and 40% HT so which reciever excels in this area? any help is appreciated. looking to buy soon so please help me out :) joe

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Am not familiar with the HK 300... Do you mean 325?

Of the cited recievers, HK's reputation is for better sound for music. Some people feel they are full of problems but others wouldn't own anything else.

Have heard the Panasonic and it's not bad for music, but falls way off when the home theater processor is applied.

Don't know the Pioneer but their reputation includes weak amplifiers which is not good for music oriented use.

In this price range, the Denon 1403 is another possibility. My brother has one and it does a good job.

Doug

AaronJB

Second Unit
I own the Panasonic and am very pleased with it for music and especially Home Theater. It offers more than enough power for an apartment situation, as well as a legion of features (PLII, Neo-6, DTS-ES) and 6.1 channel capability. Linked below is a review of the SAHE100 by Sound & Vision magazine:

http://www.soundandvision.netscape.c...aid,190,00.asp

joe_waite

Stunt Coordinator
not the 325, it is the avr-300. the reviews on audioreview are pretty good for the reciever... im just worried about the power that it has. more replies please

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about HK power...really.

I have the AVR110, 40*5 in my basement. Even with inefficient speakers, it rocks. Louder than I ever need it.

Of course, if I try, I can exceed it's limits, but you'd be out of a lease well before then.

Plus - it has pre-outs, so you could add amps as you see fit - a stereo amp for L/R, and then a full-blown 5 ch later on. Definitely no worries then.

A no brainer.

joe_waite

Stunt Coordinator
all of these cost roughly the same amount, $250 shipped.... so is the HK that far above the rest? im leaning towards that as of now so unless you change my mind then i will be ordering it soon

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It's 4 generations old - 325, 320, 310, 300. But really, the quality is already there. You won't get DPL2, but you do get L7. VMAX is cool, too. I forget exactly what you get on that one...

I assume you'll be getting it from Harman direct? You get a great warranty that way. Make sure you have enough Video Inputs - I have to double up since I have VCR, LD and 2 DVD players and only 3 inputs on the rear.

I like the way digital inputs are handled - just plug in what you have - it doesn't matter where - hit play, and cycle through the digital inputs until you hear sound. Set and forget.

Have fun!

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
joe_waite,

Anyone who has read my posts in this forum knows I am absolutely an HK fan. Power will be no problem and you'll like the sound... But... I'd really hesitate... I would worry about the integrity of any piece of electronics that is 4 generations out of date and being sold as new. I wouldn't consider buying it used for that price unless I trusted the seller and knew him and the equipment (personally).

I would be less hesitant about the Panasonic than the HK, but believe the Denon is still worth a listen.

Doug

Shiu

Second Unit
I remember seeing a fan at the back of the Panasonic but could not remember if it was a HE-100 or HE-200. My concern is that a cooling fan is a source of noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks