What's new

Down to 2: PSB or HTD? (1 Viewer)

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
I have posted on here many a times and you guys always seem to come up with some good feedback so I'd like to know your thoughts once again! I'm looking for some speakers to go with my Kenwood Vr505 and DLS 10" Powered Sub. Heres what I've come up with:
The PSB Alpha A/V and Mini package at Yawaonline
http://www.yawaonline.com/psb5piecofht.html
or
The HTD speakers including
http://www.hometheaterdirect.com/
Level Two or Three mains for fronts
Level Two or Three Center (depending on above)
Level Two for surround
I don't know if the jump in Level Two to Three is worth it considering my room and its small size. It's 12x12. I really like my DLS for now and the Kenwood seems great as well. The one concern I have is the ohms differential in speakers with PSB and my receiver. I know everybody said it'll be okay but I'mnot experienced in this stuff so therefore, I worry about it! :)
Again thanks to everybody who has helped me here in this forum!

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have not heard the HTD line of speakers but I have had brief demos of the Alpha A/V.

A guy I worked with got a pair w/ stands delivered to work once, along with a Teac Reference amp. We hooked up an old pioneer cd changer and using direct analog they really sounded nice. They had great clarity and a very good image. This was at nearfield monitor distances but I was very impressed.

I have often wondered if I ditched my polk setup for a 4 Alpha A/V and center if it would yield better results. The fiance looks down on that idea so I'll be sticking with the Polks, until we get the Boston VR-M setup we both want.

Anyway, if yawaonline has some sort of return policy, or maybe demo a pair somewhere (making an honest effort to get the retail store to compete with yawaonline since you are using their rooms and equipment) I'd give them a try.

Good luck,

Jon

I haven't heard the HTD set either, but had a pair of Alpha A/V's before I upgraded to PSB's Image line.

I would definitely recommend them as they have great imaging and are excellent for music. Bass extension is obviously not a strong suit so you'll want a sub for sure, but what's there is punchy and not boomy.

Also, since the Alphas are being refreshed with a new design, the prices can't be beat.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
Hi Brent,

I can't vouch for the Home Theater Direct speakers either (as I have not heard them), but I do own PSB so I can share some thoughts regarding them.

I have a set of PSB Alpha's that I use for my surround speakers. I actually used them for my main speakers for a couple of months. I liked them so much that I decided to upgrade to a larger speaker in the front (PSB 500's, from their old Century line).

I can't say enough about PSB speakers. PSB makes a great speaker, and they offer one of the best values out there. I think many people like PSB because they offer a natural, balanced sounding speaker. These are just my thoughts. Other people out there will swear by Paradigm, Energy, etc. I just want to let you know how much I like my PSB speakers, and I think you would enjoy them also.

The only other thing I would mention is that it is good that you have a sub. The smaller PSB speakers don't pack a huge punch (not many bookshelf speakers do), so that is one thing you might find lacking if you enjoy a lot of bass.

One more thing to consider...Home Theater Direct offers a 30 day, no risk return policy. It says on their site somewhere that if you are a first time buyer from them, they will send you prepaid return shipping labels in case you decide to send you speakers back. This would seem to greatly reduce your risk if you end up going this route.

Either way, enjoy the experience!!

Brent_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
What if you throw the JBL Northridge series into this comeptition? If i bought these it would be like this:
Mains-N28
Center-N Center
Surrounds-N26
In a previous thread here at HTF I saw somebody say JBL walks all over PSB. I found this surprising and was wondering if anybody else has thoughts on it.
Thanks again! :)

David Head

Second Unit
Brent,
I own PSB speakers and love them. I listened to Paradigm Studio 40, B&W 601 and JBL S38 speakers, but liked the PSB Image speakers best. The PSB speakers have a much more detailed mid-range when compared to the JBL and just sound more natural to me.
I haven't heard the HTD speakers, but have read many good things about them. You should read the reviews at Cheap Home Theater and Link Removed if you haven't already.
David

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.