What's new

Down or front firing for subwoofer?? (1 Viewer)

Charlesbusa

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I have a Martin-Logan Dynamo and it can fire down or front. Besides how it looks and how well its protected, what's the difference in sound? Is front more crisp? Is down more boomy?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If one way were better then all subs would be made that way. There may be slight differences in sound but not enough to matter. Your sub's sound will be more influenced by the room interaction, placement in the room and your calibration.

-Robert

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
Robert's right. It's down to the specifics of your setup and even then, it has more to do with location in the room than front or down facing.

I've got the dynamo too. I absolutely love it. It's living in its second home now. I had to look because I couldn't remember which way it was facing. It happens to be down now (in a corner behind the entertainment center). This room is carpeted too. In its last home, it was forward facing, visible and about 2 feet away from the middle of the longer wall in a hardwood floored room.

What does it all mean? I don't know. As long as it sounds good to you, it's fine. I do recommend moving it around and trying it both ways to see if you do hear a difference.

One plus for down firing is easier access to the sub controls. When it's front facing the controls are facing the floor. Personally, once it was set up I never needed to play with the settings anyway so I didn't mind the trickier access. I did like the look of the cone and surround when front facing.

Anyway, enjoy...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation730
Recent bookmarks