Down firing vs. Front firing subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Sean_P_O'Brien, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Sean_P_O'Brien

Any thoughts on what is better?

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

It's all in the design. A well designed sub, be it front or down firing, will yield similar results. Bass (below about 80hz) is non-directional, so the orientation of the driver really makes no difference.

3. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

I like to take the grill off a new sub and see what it's (the speaker) doing. Plus I just like the traditional speaker look of front firing.

If you've ever had a speaker torn to shreds by a toddler however, you might consider a down-firing one.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

See, nobody has ever addressed my question regarding this. [​IMG]

I take a look at a downfiring sub, and I see radial symettry as far as the driver and gravity goes. I take a look at a forward firing sub, but I never see, for example, any difference in the rubber/butyl/whatever surround material between the bottom of the driver and the top. Logic tells me that gravity will eventually affect the surround differently between the top and bottom of the driver. ??

5. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Not all drivers are made for a down firing application, but one would assume that if it was offered in a consumer sub, it would have already been factored in. If you are going the DIY route, Adire Audio has a formula which will let you know if a particular driver can handle a down firing configuration.

The link is http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_paper...rientation.htm

As for performance difference, I doubt there would be one since technically bass waves are so large they will bend around anything in their way(such as the floor), although the affects of gravity could take its toll over a period of years. No one has studied the affect over a longer amount of time as far as I know though. I guess you could ask some sonosub owners in about 5 or 6 years. [​IMG]

DJ

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Because the driver/magnet/voice coil assembly for a sub is usually a lot bigger, and hence a lot heavier than for a floorstander. Name a floorstander that has a 15" driver? [​IMG]

8. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

Kevin: I could name at least 10 floorstanders that has 15" in them: Klipsch, AR, DefTech, MTX, DMC, Cerwin Vega, VMPS... just to name a few [​IMG]

9. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I do not think there would be any dramatic performance difference between a down-firing subwoofer and a front-firing one. The ease of placement will probably be the primary difference. With a down-firing subwoofer, you just move it around until you get the best response. With the front-firing sub however, I figure you will also have to experiment with the orientation of the sub at each position. Correct me if I am wrong. :b

10. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Hsu is switching to down firing for both the new VTF-3MK2 and the new STF series...

11. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

My floorstander has a 18 inch driver.

12. Mike Dzurko

Mike Dzurko Stunt Coordinator

At very low frequencies it makes little difference. It is more a matter of design execution than one method being better than another.
    One advantage of a downfiring sub is that upper harmonics (distortion) are more directional in nature. By downfiring, these harmonics aren't heard as easily as if the sub were front firing.

13. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Designer's choice. I have never seen any numbers to say one is superior than another. They are both means to an end. I think whether a down-firing sub is sitting on a slab floor vs. wood may make some diffference on how the bass is coupled to the room.
    Assuming the sub is properly evaluated and tested, gravity has been taken into account. With a relatively light cone, good surround, and a powerful motor, a sufficient 'working distance' for the voice coil, it should be a negligible factor even over time.

14. zangler

zangler Extra

lol....forgot B&W....hehe

15. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

At very low frequencies it makes little difference. It is more a matter of design execution than one method being better than another.
    One advantage of a downfiring sub is that upper harmonics (distortion) are more directional in nature. By downfiring, these harmonics aren't heard as easily as if the sub were front firing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike Dzurko
    [email protected]
    www.audioc.com

Come on Mike, what the heck kind of marketing is that? You build great downfiring subs. Why not do the usual designer thing and make it sound like you invented it and it's the ONLY way to do things? [​IMG]