Down fireing flared slot port?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BlakeN, Jun 16, 2005.

1. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of using a down firing slotted port for my sub and I wondered if anyone had ever done this. The sub would also be down firing. I was also thinking of putting a 45 degree angle to flare the slot and cut down on turbulence. The port itself would be about 16"x1.5" and the flare would be 3" total.

I haven't seen too many slotted port designs in the HT area and was wondering if its just because of a build/bracing issue or if it was something else.

This would alow me to have a high flow port cheap and it wouldn't be pointing right at my upstairs living room.

I can draw a picture of what I am talking about if I am not making sense.

2. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

This is what I am talking about. Also would I count the flare as part of the port length or no?

[​IMG]

3. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Looks fine to me. Yes, you would count a % of the flare in the length, but that would depend on the flare and probably isn't something I'd worry much about.

Here are some pics of my slotted port tumult:
    http://www.objext.com/tbox/

4. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Very Nice!

Since you didnt flare the slot on a tumult I don't think I will need to either. I will just round off everything.

Thanks a lot for the input.

5. Mattak

Mattak Stunt Coordinator

Yeah...I was going to, but didn't want to have to figure out what to do with the flared edge, since it would be raw MDF. I don't get any noise, or don't get any that's louder than the noise I get from the pole vent on the tumult itself, which is really only noticable when playing tones down low at high excursion.