What's new

Dove head first into HD. Help me not drown! (1 Viewer)

JeffreyG

Agent
OK...so I took the plunge into HD and I am neck deep into it. Let's say I had an incredible Christmas. Here is my equipment:

Panasonic TH-50PX600U (Thanks to my wife)
Sony Playstation 3 (Thanks to my Dad!)
Integra DTR-503 Reciever (had for a couple of years)

Now here is my question...will my reciever work for this set up since I don't believe it has HDMI in/out? Both the Playstation and Panasonic have HDMI. Do I need to go out and get a newer Reciever? Or can I hook up the HDMI for the playstation directly to the TV for picture and then hook up the digital out of the playstation to the reciever for audio?

Please help light the way. If I have to get a new reciever that handles HDMI, if you have any suggestions on a good, but reasonable model (I have about $300 in Best Buy Bucks!) that would be great!

Thanks!

JeffreyG

Agent
Another question....does there seem to be a preference in here for what is the best HD content provider with DVR? DirectTV or Dish?

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
Since no one else has responded, I'll try to help. I don't have a Playstation 3 (you lucky dog!), but do what you suggested - plug the Playstation into your TV for video, and into your receiver for sound. I have a new Yamaha "659", a JVC HD61FN97 LCOS HDTV, a HD-XA1 HD DVD player, a HD Cable box, etc., and that's what I do. Receiver for sound - TV for video. You don't have to have an A/V receiver with a HDMI connection.

Pete

ps. from what I've read here and elsewhere - Dish, with a box carrying the number "622". I've read about people complaining about DirectTV's compression (although I haven't any experience with it myself).

JeffreyG

Agent
Thanks! I could go cable, but I had a "I will never go with cable again" experiences.

I was afraid I would have to shell out $500+ for a new reciever!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
You won't get Lossless PCM surround, but I'm just using the optical out from my PS3 and I'm happy with it. I guess I just don't know what I'm missing, so ignorance is bliss! ;)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Congrats, on the Christmas toys. Are you planning on doing a lot of gaming of mostly blu-ray movies with your ps3?

JeffreyG

Agent
Well, the Playstation 3 will be replacing the DVD player, so it will be what we view movies on. I am hoping that won't be a problem playing SD DVD on it.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

What Bepaof8 said. At least for the time being, Dish Network is the way to go for HD. Less compression artifacts, less HD-Lite, more channels, etc. It's not even close in my book. The 622 is a terrific DVR. I couldn't be happier.

Congratulations on the PS3. I'm planning on getting one in a few weeks.

JeffreyG

Agent
Well....I have Talladega Nights. It came with the PS3.

I will probably end up with DirectTV. I may jump on my father's commercial account and that is what he has. Plus it sounds like they will be having a ton of new HD "channels" when thost new satellites start up. As far as the artifacts, I know that the new HD DVR from DirectTV uses Mpeg4. Isn't that what everything is going towards?

Here is another question. My plan was to have the Sat. Unit, HT Reciever, Playstation 3 and the VCR and move my DVD player elsewhere. Should I go ahead and hook my DVD player in this set up? Or will the Playstation 3 work fine as the player for both Blue Ray and standard def. DVD?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't tried any standard DVDs in the PS3, but several reviews I have read say that the resolution is soft with standard DVDs (even though they're supposedly being shown at 480p like a traditional progressive scan DVD player would send to the TV).

I'll tell you this, though. Today I watched THE SEARCHERS on Blu-ray using the PS3 and was blown apart by the image. Could NOT believe the three dimensionality of the image. TALLADEGA NIGHTS isn't reference quality video, even on Blu-ray, but THE SEARCHERS sure is.

JeffreyG

Agent
Thanks. That is great info. Maybe it is best to keep my DVD player in the mix for standard def. DVDs.....

4VTHOKIES

Agent
Real Name
Ted Pugh

JeffreyG, I think keeping your SD DVD in the mix is a good idea especially if it upconverts to a higher resolution over 480p.

Also, do not listen to new receivers that have HDMI especially if they convert uncompressed audio to LPCM. Once you hear the difference between the uncompressed audio vs. regular DD or DTS you will definately not want to go back and you will have to spend the money on a new receiver. The audio quality with the new codecs is that good.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks