double wiring better than biwiring??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Michael S, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Michael S

Michael S Agent

Sep 25, 2003
    After I had read what seems like a zillion articles on wiring speakers and making my own speaker wire, I had decided to use Canare 4S11 and biwire my mains and front center. Then I read a white paper at hometheaterhifi dot com by Brian Florian in which he appears to do a very convincing job of explaining how the use of two separate 14 ga wires for the + and two separate 14 ga wires for the - terminals of a speaker (the pairs would be bound at each end) would result in substantially lowered inductance which is a priority and in his opinion, is far superior in benefits to quality sound than biwiring a speaker. The result of using two wire pairs would allegedly be lower resistance and lower inductance with about an 11 ga cross section at the speaker and at the amp or receiver outputs. He goes on to indicate that in biwiring, there would be the same reistance and inductance in series with a given driver section and since twice the wire is used, then twice the capacitance would also be present when compared to a single run. It has been several decades since I had high school physics and managed to avoid that class in college, so I would appreciate any enlightenment as to the merits of his assertions or data that biwiring is actually more beneficial than "double wiring." [​IMG]

Michael S.
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    This is old ground known and done long before Mr. Florian took keyboard to internet. For starters the inductance of speaker wire is vanishingly low to begin with and lowering it further, all else being equal, maybe will give you a 0.1-0.2 dB increase at about 20 kHz and much much less at lower frequencies. This is an inaudible amount and humans just can't detect this small a change up there. However, if you wish to do it simply for academic reasons I can't think of a reason why not.

Regarding biwiring there is no audible difference between a biwired setup and a single wire setup with the gauge being approximately equal in both cases.

Much of what you read in 'white papers' and advertisements is anecdotal in nature and has never been substantiated in anything resembling a controlled scenario.