What's new

Double Layer DVD+R (expensive) (1 Viewer)

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I've just recently started to see this media being advertised. From first impressions these look very expensive, around $10 a disc on most sites. I can't understand the high cost of these discs from a production point of view, surely it can't cost that much more to produce these? The only explanation, i can think of for the high price is initial pressure by the studios to keep prices high in an effort to put pirates off using these. For my purposes, i want to use these as backup and for home videos, but at the moment even if I had a capable DVD writer, I don't feel I could justify the extra cost per disc.

DVD-R has always had higher compatibility, so i'm wondering wether to wait until the planned dual layer DVD-R discs appear. Does anyone think there will be any problems with compatibility with double layer DVD+R?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
A problem I've heard with dual-layer recordable discs is that each layer must contain the same amount of data. That is, if the recording uses a total of 6G, it must be split so that each layer contains 3G. I don't know why this is, nor do I know how the total is determined in advance.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I just got my dual-layer DVD burner last night but I obviously haven't had a chance to mess around with it. I don't know specifics about it but I haven't heard anything about you having to have equal amount of data on each layer.

i do know that you can't choose where the layer change is right now which sucks. :frowning:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Each layer is 4.2G, for a total of 8.4G of useful storage.

Right now, media is high for a lot of different reasons, part of them being fear of the MPAA. For a brief while, wholesalers got "samples" very cheap; about tripple the cost of 8X DVDR, about $3.50/disc. But at this point, even in the wholesale channel, they are at least $8.50 or so/ea.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am not worried, prices will come crashing down as they always have with most media...

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks