What's new

Double Indemnity / Touch of Evil Blu-rays - 4/15 (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Persianimmortal said:
$20? That's insane. No movie is worth that much. I'll wait until they hit $5-10 each ;)
Keep laughing. I can easily wait 18 months to pick these up for 9 bucks apiece. If that's a foreign concept, good luck to you in the stock market.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
rich_d said:
I can easily wait 18 months to pick these up for 9 bucks apiece.
I certainly understand waiting for a better price and there's titles that I wait to go down in price before purchasing but at the same time, I realize that if I waited on every title to drop in price then the studios will stop releasing their catalog all together.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
rich_d said:
Keep laughing. I can easily wait 18 months to pick these up for 9 bucks apiece. If that's a foreign concept, good luck to you in the stock market.
More power to you :) Out of respect for the wishes of the owners of this forum, I'm not going to argue this point in this thread since it's been done to death in the Titus thread.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
From the Bits:"Also, a number of readers have asked about the aspect ratios of the three versions of the film set to be included on Universal’s forthcoming Touch of Evil Blu-ray (due on 4/15), so we confirmed with the studio: All three will be 1.85, like the previous DVD release."

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
rich_d said:
And there you have it in a nutshell. That is why the studios are licensing out to Twilight Time and other labels. When these titles tank for Universal thanks to this kind of attitude, then Universal will simply stop doing them, or just license out to the foreign labels who've been doing Universal titles or Criterion or whomever. And will you buy them for nine bucks apiece or will you then wait until they're five bucks? I know what I'm guessing. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
And there you have it in a nutshell. That is why the studios are licensing out to Twilight Time and other labels. When these titles tank for Universal thanks to this kind of attitude, then Universal will simply stop doing them, or just license out to the foreign labels who've been doing Universal titles or Criterion or whomever. And will you buy them for nine bucks apiece or will you then wait until they're five bucks? I know what I'm guessing. :)
Well, it might have more to do with what a person has for discretionary income than their attitude. For many of us, with raising costs across the board, people have to make tough choices.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
At any rate, aren't these two special edition releases? That would explain the higher prices. I'm sure there will be cheaper editions without the extra content later down the road.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Crawford said:
Well, it might have more to do with what a person has for discretionary income than their attitude. For many of us, with raising costs across the board, people have to make tough choices.
I suspect that is not the case for the ones who play the waiting game. Just a supposition on my part based on many posts in many threads on another board, where that game is literally all they talk about. Whatever the cause, however, it's the reason that all studios cut back on catalog titles - and for those who think they don't, just wait and that picture will become very clear this very year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
I suspect that is not the case for the ones who play the waiting game. Just a supposition on my part based on many posts in many threads on another board, where that game is literally all they talk about. Whatever the cause, however, it's the reason that all studios cut back on catalog titles - and for those who think they don't, just wait and that picture will become very clear this very year.
Those of us that frequent such boards and post such comments are only a very small percentage of the home video consumer base.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoHud said:
At any rate, aren't these two special edition releases? That would explain the higher prices. I'm sure there will be cheaper editions without the extra content later down the road.
I'm in the process of shredding my old DVD receipts from the late 90s and early 2000s. The price for these two titles aren't far off from those DVD pricing, especially, since at least one of them derives from some recent restoration work and has three different versions of the film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Those of us that frequent such boards and post such comments are only a very small percentage of the home video consumer base.
Certainly for larger titles but catalog titles that are 50 or 60 years old? I think people at places like HTF actually do make up a big chunk of the buyers for those discs. I'm not saying that people should spend a dime more than they can afford but I do think that waiting on smaller titles does not help get any more of those older movies released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Certainly for larger titles but catalog titles that are 50 or 60 years old? I think people at places like HTF actually do make up a big chunk of the buyers for those discs. I'm not saying that people should spend a dime more than they can afford but I do think that waiting on smaller titles does not help get any more of those older movies released.
It's not my place to tell others how to spend their monies. If less older movies being released on BD is the consequence of people being bargain shoppers then so be it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
It's not my place to tell others how to spend their monies. If less older movies being released on BD is the consequence of people being bargain shoppers then so be it.
I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money either but I hope that people realize that an unintended consequence of waiting for every title to go on sale is that there will be even less catalog releases.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
TravisR said:
I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money either but I hope that people realize that an unintended consequence of waiting for every title to go on sale is that there will be even less catalog releases.
I disagree. The marketing people at the studios know that there are consumers who will buy at full retail as well as ones who will only buy on sale. Their strategy is to get both, which is why the retail prices get lowered after a set window.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Both films are well-worth having at most any reasonable price. These things aren't like Doritos, they are not going to make more if they do not sell some. Like hardcover books and newspapers. I buy BDs, DVDs, CDs, hardcovers, the rest of my dough I waste.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
I disagree. The marketing people at the studios know that there are consumers who will buy at full retail as well as ones who will only buy on sale. Their strategy is to get both, which is why the retail prices get lowered after a set window.
I have no way to prove it but I don't think they give a damn about sales that will come in a year or two or five. They want immediate results and without them, they'll just re-release The Wizard Of Oz or Casablanca or any other major title again (and again) because that's making them money as soon as possible.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TravisR said:
I have no way to prove it but I don't think they give a damn about sales that will come in a year or two or five. They want immediate results
Then they are short-sighted idiots.It may be true, but they are still idiots.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
No, it's called business. When you outlay money to produce and sell a product, you want to maximize profits, not minimize them, and within a reasonable timeframe to boot. If everyone waits a year or two for discs to hit $5, then the studios may as well either license out the property and all its risk to a third party, or better yet, focus on streaming, which will better cater to the $5 crowd.The only short-term thinking I can see is coming from the people who are confusing the desirability of low-priced classics on BDs with the viability of them.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The sales figures on catalog titles are so low, I don't know why anyone outside of specialty labels releases them and I think this year you will see a lot of cutback in terms of numbers of releases. Everyone bitches and moans about the 3,000 number with Twilight Time, but they rarely sell the 3,000 (just horror titles usually or genre things) - and when they DO get to 2500 and that's announced, the final five hundred usually go out thanks to the scalpers. But those are few and far between. For a major label to hope to sell 3,000 but maybe not even get to 1000 or 1500 because people play this waiting for the five-dollar bin game (loss leaders when they hit that bin - NO one makes any money), it's simply not worth the effort. They're not the idiots - they're the smart people who don't want to lose money on every title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks