What's new

Double Indemnity -- new DVD in the works? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, UCLA holds preservation materials for the film for Universal... but keep in mind that's it's part of the Paramount library that Universal owns. Most of these films lack great film elements.

Apparently, UCLA restored Double Indemnity from the nitrate fine-grain positive.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I'm not sure what you're implying. Are you saying that Paramount still controls the preservation elements at UCLA? Why wouldn't Universal be able to use those (assuming UCLA is willing)?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Mark:

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough....

UCLA holds many of the elements for the Paramount films owned by Universal. I think Universal actually holds some of the prime elements (for example, UCLA lists that they preserved Double Indemnity from the fine-grain positive, yet that element is not listed in their archive... it was probably on loan to them for making a new dupe negative). They're totally Universal's in terms of ownership, but I wanted to stress that it's part of the library.

Most of the Paramount films in Universal's ownership have lost the better elements, apparently.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What this means for an R1 release I have no idea, but Universal has announced an R2 release of Double Indemnity in March according to www.zetaminor.com (and it's up for pre-order at www.play.com)
Read into the fact that the other two notable classics on the same slate from Universal include The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels (two titles they licensed to Criterion in R1) what you will...

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
This is currently my 3rd most wanted title (right behind a SE of Blade Runner and the upcoming Raging Bull SE).

I hope it finally happens!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well, I hope this film is coming, and I don't want to resort to the Korean import if the transfer is still subpar like the Image Entertainment one was.
Just as a "heads up," Turner Classic Movies will be airing Double Indemnity on 06/25/2005 in the morning.
I am hoping it is a good transfer. At least I can record it on SVHS (and most of you can TiVo it) until Univesal gets this title out.
-mw

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
I heard a rumor that, please let it not be true, Universal have pushed Double Indemnity SE from the summer of 2004 to 2007!!!!! If they do that I swear Iw ouldn't buy any Universal discs until they release Double Indemnity SE!!!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jing,
If the reason for the delay is to restore the film and give it the treatment it deserves, then I am willing to wait. I would rather have a DVD that is more like Casablanca as far as image quality than what we saw with the previous release.
I suspect Universal was going to just re-release the old transfer, and that would've, I imagine, upset more DI fans than holding off and getting a proper film element and then the requisite restoration efforts underway: it also would've make Universal easily the hands down winner of studio with the least respect for their A-List back catalog titles.
Universal did do right by Hitchcock's Rear Window, and while not anamorphic, also, Vertigo. Let's hope they understand that releasing the seminal film noir title with poor transfer is totally unacceptable.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
You know, Universal really ought to license Double Indemnity to Criterion.

Criterion would justify re-transfering DI using the UCLA Film & Television Archive preservation... which utilized a fine-grain master positive. Also, that way we'd get plenty of supplements like a commentary, the TV remake, the WNET documentary on Billy Wilder, etc. Criterion doesn't have a single Wilder film.

While they're at it, Universal could also license Touch of Evil. New 4x3 transfer, with the commentary and making-of documentary left off the Universal DVD. Make it into a 2-discer by including the hacked-up 1958 theatrical cut.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

This is what I was hoping for when DI got pulled from last years release schedule.

I was also crossing my fingers for a Criterion 12 Monkeys which never happened.

Does anybody know if there still exists a Universal/Criterion licensing deal? The last one I can think of is the Criterion The Killers set of well over a year ago.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Any new rumors on this title?

I have the crummy Image disc, which I still watch about twice a year. This is easily my most desired re-issue, and I'm highly nervous because it's in Universal's hands.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Speaking of Wilder, Universal is also "sitting" on FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR, and A FOREIGN AFFAIR. It's very unlikely that the post-Vivendi/NBC Universal would do a Collector's/Legacy on a director like they did with the Hitchcocks.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I would snap that collection up in a heartbeat. These are some of the last VHS titles that I own, and I would love nothing more than to get rid of them. That would virtually complete the Wilder collection on DVD.

WB is working on "Spirit of St. Louis", but apparently has no plans for "Fedora" or "Buddy, BuddY", and sooner or later Paramount has to get it's head of it's ass and release "Ace in the Hole"

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
It's a great shame that Warners are showing no interest in releasing 'Fedora'. I think this is probably Wilder's most underrated film - its themes carry haunting echoes of his own 'Sunset Boulevard' as well as 'Vertigo'.

I recently acquired the Japanese DVD, but this is to be avoided. It's non-anamorphic, taken from a French print with the credits in French, and looks like a second-rate VHS copy. Fortunately I still have the Warner laserdisc.

And yes, I hope Paramount won't keep us waiting too much longer for 'Ace In the Hole'. The pent-up demand for this title must be huge by now.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's a great shame that Warners are showing no interest in releasing 'Fedora'.
Warner Bros has nothing to do with FEDORA. The film was released by United Artists so is an MGM (now Sony) film. I have the Spanish all-region DVD issued on the Suevia Films label which is widescreen but non-anamorphic.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Really?

Somebody asked them about it during the last chat, and their reply was roughly "We have no plans for Fedora at this time". Usually, if it's not their film, they reply as such. I still have this film on LD, so I'm not in any panic to get it, but I would love to get rid of the few remaining LDs in my collection also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks