What's new

Double Black Bars - New Thread (1 Viewer)

I have read a thread on here about double black bars and never really got a clear understanding from it so I am asking the question myself to see if anyone can help. I have a Sony32HS500 and when watching a movie such as Lord of the Rings, Matrix and etc, I get really thick black bars on the screen. From what I understand this IS NOT a double squeeze like the last person who asked this question thought. The TV performs the 16x9 enhancement and that is causing it. Is there ANYWAY to get them to go back to being thinner? On the HS500 I can't turn off 16x9 enhancement. I only have the option to turn it ON or on AUTO. IT really makes the 32 inch TV in more small! The picture is absolutely splendid but small. I have tried to change the DVD player's settings and I have tried all combinations but with no success. I have Pioneer DVD player and an XboX and it does it with both. ANY HELP?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If your TV does the 16:9 squeeze, then it's performing it properly. Movies are shot in different aspect ratios, the most popular being 1.85:1 (roughly the same size as a widescreen set) and 2.35/40:1 like LOTR, The Matrix, and Star Wars

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Check your DVD player, I know my PS2 which i currently use as my DVD player has a problem where it overrides the settings and locks into 4:3 letterbox whern i play a dvd. with this happening and the squeeze applied my picture actually shrinks (making a 1:1.85 movie about the same height as a 1:2.35 movie) However with a separate DVD player set to 16x9 mode the squeeze is done perfectly.

so i suggest you check and make sure your dvd player isn't overriding your 16x9 selection.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Michael:

As long as there is more than one film aspect ratio you're going to have black bars--even if you have a native 16:9 set. As to this "double black bars" issue: If you are seeing black bars within the 16:9 window, you are overdriving your set; the black bars within the window should merge seamlessly with the letterboxing bars.

But back to your initial complaint: Consider the math. A 2.35:1 film will only be so tall on a 1.33:1 screen. It's the price you pay for enjoying a film in its original aspect ratio.

JB

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Jack
you said you shouldn't see different shades of black bars in an enhanced widescreen mode? I know i can see different shades, what does this indicate? I calibrated my set with Avia and the contracxt and brightness seemed good to me.
Please anything you can add would be a help, you got me worried now :)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
John,

assuming you calibrated the set in the same lighting conditions as the ones you're normally watching in, there should be no or almost no difference in the brightness of the bars in the squeeze mode. You may want to have the set ISF-calibrated, they'll be able to dial it into perfection.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, do as Dmitry suggests, John. When calibrating with AVIA or Video Essentials[/], do so in a darkened room. You should, at best, only be seeing the slightest hints of bars within the 16:9 window.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Yeah I think thats the problem, my first calibration was done during the day, and I could only block so much light... hehehehe i think i might set my alarm for 2 in the morning now for my next calibration... who am i kidding im not that motivated.

Thanks guys

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Remind people not to buy that TV set. Inability to turn off the 16:9 mode is an irritating problem a lot of sets including wide screen sets have, you may find incorrectly coded DVD's and broadcasts and won't be able to see them correctly.
If the proportions of objects in the picture look right, then your settings are right.
Compare the picture, dimensions only, using an anamorphic (16:9 enhanced DVD) and these settings:
1. DVD player in 16:9 mode, TV in AUTO
2. DVD player in 4:3 letterbox mode, TV in AUTO
The picture should be approximately the same size. You should be able to fine tune it with height (VSIZE) and width (HSIZE) and, if present, electronic matting adjustments in the service menu. (Ignore this test if the TV makes #2 incorrigibly unnaturally squished.)
In a darkened room you may see that the unused area just above and below the picture (more than 1.75:1 aspect ratio) is not quite the same shade as the extreme top and bottom of the 4:3 screen in 16:9 mode. But you should calibrate the TV set using the same room lighting as there will be when you are viewing.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Thanks for the help. Basically they are supposed to be there. One thing I have to be thankful for is that both bars are JET BLACK. The are as black as black gets....

About not recommending this TV. I totally disagree. after several months if not a year of searching, this is the best direct view set I have seen for the price. Sure I can't turn of 16x9 enhanced but I have yet to run into an incorrectly encoded source....

Mike

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Michael, you have a nice set--better than what most people in this country have in their living rooms. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks