What's new

Dots & Specks on screen... (1 Viewer)

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

My power supply fried out, it was a 320 in my P4, so I replaced it with a 350. In theory, that shoud prove to be no problem.

But, I'm getting dots, or specks on my monitor now... little white, black, red or what not... certain times. When I hit F5 they go away... but come right back after a minute or so. I tried all the refresh rates and resolutions, it does it on all of them.

I have a GeForce2 in here and have no idea if the power increase is playing havoc with it. I reinstalled the drivers as well for the vid... no luck. Anyone heard of this?

Tom

KyleS

Screenwriter
First I havnt heard of this one before but the power increase shouldnt have anything to do in regards to the dots, are you sure that monitor is not having problems? Are all the power connections going to the MB tight what about the video card is it seated all the way. Maybe when you pulled off the old PS from the MB and pushed the new one on it seperated the video card a little?

KyleS

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It seems to me like the video card's RAM is having problems. Perhaps the new supply's power is too "dirty", or the RAM got toasted when the old supply went out.
If you can swap out the video RAM give that a try. Otherwise it may be time to pop for a GEForce4! :)
KJP

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice guys... I did the following:

1. Removed and replaced all cards, and memory.
2. Blew out the whole case, dust free.
3. Put in the memory, and only what I needed to run.

Still have the same problems... I then brought down my 17" from upstairs, it did it on there too. I have now found out it's the vid card for sure. I will most likely just deal with it until the next line of Geforce's and ATI's come out... rumored to be October.

Thanks guys...

T.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I have this exact same problem with my Ti4400. It only happens though if I try running dual monitors off the card. Using just one monitor, no specs.

The specs are blue 95% of the time... the other 5% they are white.

I'm going to call Gainward and RMA the card when I have time. Since dual monitors aren't that important to me, I'm in no real rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks