Dot crawl on rear projection with Rotel DVD player

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew__H, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Andrew__H

Andrew__H Auditioning

Jun 12, 2004

I just watched the Bourne Identity with my new Signal Cable V2 component cable, and noticed some dot crawl on solid surfaces (like seats on a train or blinds in windows).

My tv is a Sony 46" table top projection (KP-46WT510), and the Rotel DVD player is model RDV-1040.

What is the cause of dot crawl? Is it my DVD player, the cable, or the tv? I've done Avia tuning, perhaps I should do it again? Or is this just a symptom of all RPTVs?

I was seeing dot crawl with the previous Tara labs component cable, so it's probably not the cable causing any distortion.

Thanks guys!
  2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    The dot crawl most people talk about is due to imperfect Y/C separation (via comb filtering) when the source is composite. When present, it is most noticeable where contrasting colors meet with a horizontal or vertical boundary, such as the red and blue stripe at the bottom of sportscasts where scores or players' names may be displayed.

A DVD player connected to a TV via component video or S-video should not introduce dot crawl since no comb filter is used in that video signal path. However you may encounter a DVD whose source material was composite in an earlier lifetime and was poorly comb filtered (mandatory) during production for the DVD.

Video hints: