What's new

DOS games trouble-- PLEASE help. (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, As soon as I finally got my XP/98SE dual boot (on two seperate hdds) all setup, I installed all my Radeon VE and Audigy drivers in 98SE, but I'm having some trouble with DOS games...as soon as I start the screen gets really distorted and the graphics are useles... it's semi functional because i can still see the mouse moving sort of... anyone have any ideas? I know for a fact this SHOULD work somehow, because I had this same game (Settlers II : Gold) up and running on my 98SE system before I installed XP... any help would be hot here, guys.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
That is usually an indication that the video resolution and/or frequency that the game is trying to use is incompatible with the monitor and/or video card. This kind of problem was not uncommon when each game needed drivers for specific video cards.
Is this happeneing for all DOS games or just this specific one?
If you can, try a different monitor or somehow hack the configuration file to try a different resolution.

KyleS

Screenwriter
If you are running a dual boot OS and you are in Windows 98 then it shouldnt run any different then what it was before since each OS is on a different partition. You may want to try reinstalling the game and the drivers on the Win98 OS. I did the same thing with my system so that I would still be able to play Constructor.

KyleS

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I formatted my 10gb drive in frustration last night, so its getting another fresh install of 98SE.

I guess I wasnt clear on one point-- I had formatted my 10gb drive and given it a fresh install... THEN the game didnt work... I'm using the same screen size as I did before, so you think it could have been the refresh rate?

KyleS

Screenwriter
It very well could be the refresh rate or the colors. The game may support only 256 vs 16 or 32 million. Most DOS games will automatically change the color setting but not always.

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread