What's new

Dorm room receiver (1 Viewer)

vtfan2319

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
So I've been working to put together a system for my room with speakers I've just had laying around not really being used. I've got a set of Sony SS-CHPX9's and a set of Acoustic Monitor db IV's (I've heard the db IVs are white van speakers but I've been testing them with an old receiver and I think for my purpose, a dorm room, should do alright). The Sony's are maxed at 75w and the IVs are rated at 125w. I've been trying to find a decent receiver For around $150-200. I've come across plenty of receivers but I'm not exactly sure about pulling the good from the bad. I'm not sure whether I should consider a 5.1 system or not. Also any advice on which set should sound better in the front vs the back would be appreciated. Thank you

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you're going to hook up 4 speakers just get a 5.1 AVR and set it to multi channel stereo. I happen to like going the AVR route because they are going to give you digital (HDMI and optical) inputs which most devices are using today. A stereo receiver is only going to have analog (RCA) inputs and while effective they limit what you can hook up to them when you want to expand.

The AVR's also have a dedicated subwoofer/LFE out also makes them attractive. This makes it super easy to add in a sub when/if you want to. The fact that they will cross over your mains and the sub is also a great benefit.

Here are a few to look at. If you want new your choices are slim in your price range. This Sony is the only that I could find that was sub $200 on a quick look.

If you're open to refurb you have some more options.
  • Denon E200 $130 Basic 5.1 but it will do what you need to and more
  • Yamaha RX-V377 $170 Comes with YPAO autosetup. Better option if you want to go full surround some day.
  • Denon S500BT $180 This brings integrated Bluetooth to the table if that is something you're interested in.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I like all-speaker stereo too, so +1 to Tony's idea.

But if you're really sure you're only going to be wanting stereo, you will save a few bucks. Plus, lot of dorms won't allow a sub anyway, and it takes more room when you already don't have much. (There are stereo receives that have a sub output, but they'll be more expensive so won't help you much.) The biggest problem is what Tony mentioned, only analog RCA connections; chances are you'll be wanting to connect through HDMI.

Refurb isn't a bad way to go, but you can get a few new receivers under $200 (today I only found one):

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V377-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B00HZE2WW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1435864143&sr=1-1&keywords=home+theater+receiver

Also, do not buy Pyle to save money, their equipment is junk.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
You may also be lucky by checking out the open-item table at Best Buy - some stores may still have some last-year shelf displays at bargain prices (and you may be able to whittle that price down a bit further if you get the right blue-shirt). Just make sure you get the remote and set-up mic.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Accessories4less.com. Great bargains, less risk of missing pieces. A Yamaha RX-V375 or 475 would suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks