What's new

Dorm ideas? (1 Viewer)

TweakGames

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Hello all, first post. :0)

I hope this is the right section to post this but this is my idea to make my dorm room a little nicer this year.
Im KIND of cramped for space, so I didnt want to bring my big TV back to the dorm room this year. It took a while, but I think I have an idea of what im going to do. I just want to run it by you all because you know everything and im sure im missing something. :0)

I'm going to try and run everything off my computer, that will be in my closet. (so its quiet)

(my dorm room is 10ft x 15ft)

Ok so here it goes.

Projector: $1999 from costco Optoma
6800 Projector w/ Panoview™ 16:9
106" Screen
Native Resolution: 1280x 768 :0)
((Its basically a HD72 just with a different name))
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse=

Computer speakers: $60 Logitech X-530 70 Watts 5.1 Speaker
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121118
(is this going to be loud enough?)

Computer Sound card: $72 (after 100$ mail in rebate) :0) Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102163

Video card / video capure card: $240 ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900 256MB VIVO
(comes with remote and such so I can change channels like a regular TV) (I think :0) )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102685

2 Chairs: $300 Pyramat® Sound Seat with Dual Speakers & Subwoofer
http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...uct/sku__PY500

Do I need to get a special DVD drive for my computer that will be better for watching movies?

Is there anything I have missed? I think I will have to get a ceiling mount for the projector, I'm not sure if they come with it or not... *shrug*

Anyways thanks guys, any help would be AWESOME! I'm just going to use the projector for movies, regular TV, and gaming. I was told the HD72 was better for gaming then a 480p projector.

THANKS!
Michael.

TweakGames

Grip
Real Name
Michael
One more quick question... How do I get true 5.1 to the speakers if only 1 output cable is going from my computer to one input in my speakers?

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The first and only time I stayed in a dorm was 1994. I had a 13" television (no remote) that was connected to a mono VCR and a Super Nintendo. The sound was wired thru a boom box whos backup power was provided by D batteries. That was the most impressive system in the building :)

TweakGames

Grip
Real Name
Michael

haha ok, Im going to ... try and do a LITTLE better then that. Maybe have a stereo VCR. Or N64. :0)

(I'm really having trouble finding a good sound card. I guess the x-fi sound blasters have some "crystalizer" technology that make DVDs better?)

Also still confused how to get true 5.1 from 1 cable...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Not sure what a thread about a PC theater is doing in the Construction/Interiors Forum, but I’ll bite.

If you only have one input cable and one input for the speakers, you can’t. However, 5.1 speaker systems typically have three input cables. From what I can see from the sound card link, it has multiple outputs for 5.1, so you should be in business.

You’ll get better and more informed responses at our Computers and HTPC Forum. I’ll ask a moderator to move this for you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Get the Logitech Z5500 speakers. I have them in my dorm and they are unreal. Keeps everyone up late at night!!!

You can crank them to 11 and they'll sound amazing still, trust me on this one, they're worth the extra coin.

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
FYI: You don't need a special DVD drive. Any one will do. Just turn it down to 1X if you're doing live DVD playback so that it's quiet. If you're going to rip, get a few big hard disks.

If you want it to look super-nice, get a front-end like xLobby with some cool sklins. It's free, which is good for the budget. I don't use xLobby, but check the site in my sig for an example of what screens could look like.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Michael,

It looks like Mike Silek is on to something:
Here’s a review of the Z5500’s. They’re quite a bit more expensive than the ones you were considering, but I expect you’ll be much happier with them. If you forgo the sound seats they’ll easily fit into your budget.

Review: Logitech Z5500 5.1 Speaker System

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a projector expert by any means, but is there going to be clearance in your room far enough back to project a 106" image?

TweakGames

Grip
Real Name
Michael
ok, so I am throwing out the idea for the computer chairs. Very cool idea but ... yeah I think the $ would be better used putting it into the speaker system.

Now into the speaker system, is there any reason to go 7.1? Does anything use/output 7.1? I think I will just stick with 5.1.

About my dorm room's size and having a projector issue, according to to optimas website, in order for the projector to display a 106' image it needs to be at least 12.2 to 14.6 ft away from the screen. My dorm room is a little over 16' long so I think I should be fine. The only concern I have is that, people say you need to be 1.5 x (size of screen) 106 away from the screen or else you will see the pixels. So I would need to be at least 13 feet away from the screen.
That might be a little hard but I will have to experiment with this.

If I move the projector up 2 feet, it will turn it into a 70 inch screen, but then people only need to sit 9 feet away from the screen. I will just have to see how it turns out before I mount my projector to the ceiling.

Do you guys think my sound card will be ok? Or would there be a noticeable quality difference (software and tuning for movies / music) if I was to go to a
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 for $30 more?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102188

I mean, if I'm going to be putting such a nice speaker system in, I wouldn't want to put in a card that's not going to give it the best cleanest signal that I can.

I had more questions but I forgot while I was writing this. :0) I will come back with some more when I remember them.

Again thanks all very much, I'm very new in this whole "pimp my dorm room" thing.

Thanks,
Michael.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
personally I wouldnt waste the money on a creative card,but it will work!. I would go for an Auzentech card like the x-mystique or X-plosion.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Maybe there's a lot more demand for the Z-5450, and volume pricing is much better than the Z-5500.

TweakGames

Grip
Real Name
Michael

WOW CALL ME NOOB! I did NOT know there were other good sound cards.
*I'm so lost in this home theater WORLD!*

Thanks though, I have been reading reviews and it really looks promising. Now I have to find a speaker setup that has DTS. (DTS is the best right?) It would be cool to use 1 optical line instead of using like 5 regular lines.

Looks like both of the recommended systems, the Z-5450 and the Z-5500 both have Optical in. :0) *happy face* But it looks like 5450 has an issue of not being able to get to loud (because of the less Wattage I'm guessing). I fear that the wireless rear speakers could somehow cause an issue w/ my wireless keyboard and mouse. I think I will pay more for the none wireless, MORE wattage speakers. (The above reasons is why I think the 5450 sells for less.)

Also I think I am going to get the Auzentech X-plosion card. It looks pretty dang cool and CRAMMED full of features. again *happy face* :0)

Anything else I should be worried about guys? Any other things I'm missing for having a nice home theater dorm room?

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator

A strategically placed copy of "Remains of the Day" or other chick flicks, and a copy of "U-571", so the dorm babes can realize you've got a soft side and a manly side.

Ahhh, the first few months of college. I vaguely remember it. Or at least I think I do...

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The wireless rear speakers may work well, but in such a small room you can take the extra 60 seconds to pull cable along the wall to the rear speakers and get the far far superior sub of the Z5500. And yes, you want a digital cable from your computer to the speakers, where the control box of the speakers will happily decode DTS and DD 5.1.

As for the projector - if the room is small enough, you could give up the idea of going 106 inches with it and instead set it up to display a 60 inch image or so. You'll get a "denser" image (ie pixels will be smaller and thus less visible) as well as a brighter one since you're lighting a smaller area. 60 (or 80, or whatever inchage would work best in the room) is still plenty good enough if you sit at the appropriate distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks