Doris Day Shows Remasters Destroyed?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnMor, Jun 20, 2004.

1. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Paul Brownstein's TV Classics (the same company that put out the great Dick Van Dyke Show sets) had restored and remastered Doris Day's two 1970's TV specials and some of the negatives of her 1968-1973 sitcom for release on DVD.

Now, according DorisDayTribute.com (which I trust as they have some ties to Doris and have been instrumental in releasing some of her audio product through Sony), the DVDs have been abandoned indefinitely, as the remasters were destroyed in a fire, and the cost to begin again is too prohibitive.

Does this strike anyone else as a bogus explanation? I have worked in the accounting end of this industry since 1989 and have NEVER seen a professional company, like Mr. Brownstein's, not have extensive insurance to cover the cost of a disaster like a fire.

Either the originals were destroyed, or they decided there wasn't a market for the DVDs, which why not just say that? Anyone else just think that sounds fishy?[​IMG]

Anyone have any info on this?

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Paul Brownstein's TV Classics (the same company that put out the great Dick Van Dyke Show sets) had restored and remastered Doris Day's two 1970's TV specials and some of the negatives of her 1968-1973 sitcom for release on DVD.

Now, according DorisDayTribute.com (which I trust as they have some ties to Doris and have been instrumental in releasing some of her audio product through Sony), the DVDs have been abandoned indefinitely, as the remasters were destroyed in a fire, and the cost to begin again is too prohibitive.

Does this strike anyone else as a bogus explanation? I have worked in the accounting end of this industry since 1989 and have NEVER seen a professional company, like Mr. Brownstein's, not have extensive insurance to cover the cost of a disaster like a fire.

Either the originals were destroyed, or they decided there wasn't a market for the DVDs, which why not just say that? Anyone else just think that sounds fishy?[​IMG]

Anyone have any info on this?

3. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Destroyed in a fire? Why weren't the remasters (I assume DLT tapes?) in a vault?

Must have been a really good, hot fire to reach them in a vault.

4. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Destroyed in a fire? Why weren't the remasters (I assume DLT tapes?) in a vault?

Must have been a really good, hot fire to reach them in a vault.

5. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

Given Brownstein's reputation, he probably had them stored in a cardboard box. Also: did the "fire" only attack Doris Day material, or was there any mention of other materials that were affected?

6. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

Given Brownstein's reputation, he probably had them stored in a cardboard box. Also: did the "fire" only attack Doris Day material, or was there any mention of other materials that were affected?

7. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I looked at the site and the story is attributed to "Unconfirmed Sources". If you are really worried about this then I would get a number for the company and phone them directly.

8. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

I looked at the site and the story is attributed to "Unconfirmed Sources". If you are really worried about this then I would get a number for the company and phone them directly.